Thanks Helmut. did not help, as the topology was already OK. The problem seems to be that the database has come unconnected. To make a long story short

1) I used on a GDB directory, which produced a single feature with 20 layers, only a few of which had spatial data

2) to isolate the one element I was most interested in I did a v.extract on layer 20 to create the new map.

3) that worked, except that the database was still attached to layer 20, even though the new map only had a single layer. So,

4) I did a v.db.connect -d layer=20, followed by a v.db.connect layer=1 on the same table that used to be attached to layer 20.

Now, d.vect newveg doesn't work, but d.vect newveg layer=20 does, and the query returns layer 20 results, but layer 20 is no longer attached to a table in sqlite so all I get are area and cat. Presumably, some permutation of v.category will straighten all of this out.

In the meantime, I discovered that I could import layers from a GDB individually with, so all is well.