Rich,

In my system the executables for the different grass versions look like this:

grass74

grass75

grass77

There was no confusion when updating the svn trunk (grass7_trunk).

I guess that the problem will disappear if you delete the installed executable, the installed grass folder, and then make a new fresh install.

/H.