Kalindu Perera:

Commands are as follows

*r.ros,*
r.ros --overwrite model=fuel_model@demomapset
moisture_1h=1hour_moisture@demomapset moisture_live=live_moisture@demomapset
velocity=wind_speed@demomapset direction=wind_direction@demomapset
slope=slope@demomapset aspect=aspect@demomapset
elevation=elevation@demomapset base_ros=my_ros.base max_ros=my_ros.max
direction_ros=my_ros.maxdir spotting_distance=my_ros.spotdist

*r.spread,*
r.spread --overwrite base_ros=my_ros.base@demomapset
max_ros=my_ros.max@demomapset direction_ros=my_ros.maxdir@demomapset
start=fire_origin@demomapset wind_speed=wind_speed@demomapset
output=spread_time_observed

*After entering; r.category spread_time_observed,*
[image: 1.png]

*After entering; r.report spread_time_observed units=c,p,*
[image: Screenshot from 2018-10-15 21-40-46.png]

Dear Kalindu,

thank you for the above.

If all is right, you might just need to properly prepare the input data
and/or the output of `r.ros`, for example, to label raster categories
appropriately.  Then, modules like `r.report` will show also the label
for each raster category.

When drawing the `spread_time_observed` map, can you identify visually the
raster category of your interest?  If yes, pick up the the "Query
raster/vector map(s)" tool (4th button in wxGUI's Map Display window),
and select any pixel of the category of your interest.  This will tell
the value (of the pixel you selected) and a label (if any is given).

Knowing this value, you can extract all pixels of this value using
`r.mapcalc`. For example, say the raster category (or value) of
interest, is 3. Then, something like
```
r.mapcalc "category_3 = if(spread_time_observed == 3, 3, null())"
```
will create a map with all pixels of value 3.

I guess using this "category_3" map as an input to `r.surf.area` would
give the area estimation you require. Please, take care to read the
NOTES in `r.surf`area`'s manual about "edge effects" though.

Else, I think the easiest/fastest for me would to be to have access to sample
data (even via a private message). If possible, cutting out (setting via
`g.region`) a small fragment from your study area, and sharing would
allow me to "resolve" this.

Also, please don't post screenshots (if it is not about part of maps or other
visuals). For textual output, please always post the output of your commands
(as in copy and paste) or attach a text file.

For example, I would copy-and-paste the complete output of (or put in a
text file if a specific output of a command is really too long):

# in Bash
for MAP in fuel_model 1hour_moisture live_moisture wind_speed wind_direction
slope aspect elevation my_ros.base my_ros.max my_ros.maxdir my_ros.spotdist
fire_origin spread_time_observed ;do r.category $MAP ;done

# in Windows
see example in:
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-user/2018-June/078526.html

Nikos