Retested on two small regions, one with some null cells and one with no null cells, using both the GRASS r.covar module and the R layerStats function, and this time results were almost identical. In addition, r.covar outputs "N" the number of cells used, and I saw that in the case of null cells indeed the value of N was smaller. So that answers my previous post :-)

Now I redo the process on the full rasters to see what caused the different in results.

Regards, Micha