On 29/05/20 10:09, Micha Silver wrote:

On 29/05/2020 9:42, Uwe Fischer wrote:

Hello list,

thanks to Micha Silver and Helmut Kudrnovsky, the problem ist solved. I did not set g.region prior to using v.what.rast. Seems to be a typical non-Grass-Professional mistake. Now it works fine.

But to be honest, I do not really understand what it is good for. When the raster image and the points to be updated share the same Grass location and CRS, why do I have to set a region in addition?

Glad you got it worked out.

The only thing I would add to Stefan's explanation is a pointer to the GRASS wiki on region settings:

https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Computational_region

Although I am a huge fan and promotor of the computational region concept, I actually agree with Uwe that it is debatable whether in the specific cas of v.what.rast this should be the default behavior. It is a bit counter-intuitive. In any case, it should be clearly and explicitly documented in the man page.

Uwe, would you mind posting an issue on this in github [1] ?

Moritz

[1] https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/issues