Forgot to mention:

On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 6:28 PM Markus Neteler <nete...@osgeo.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 1:27 PM Ken Mankoff <mank...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi GRASS list,
> >
> > I'd like to detect "narrow" features in GRASS. The attached screenshot
> > shows some basins (thick) and streams (thin) and some regions (hatched).
> > These regions are spurious because the basin is narrow here. I'd like to
> > estimate narrowness with an algorithm.
> >
> > I've looked into r.grow.distance r.distance and v.distance but haven't been
> > able to imagine a solution yet. Can anyone on this list suggest something?
>
> Perhaps the compact measure of
>
> https://grass.osgeo.org/grass78/manuals/v.to.db.html
> --> compact: compactness of an area, calculated as compactness =
> perimeter / (2 * sqrt(PI * area))
>
> could help here?

Related to compactness I found
https://www.azavea.com/blog/2016/07/11/measuring-district-compactness-postgis/

and roughly digitized the shapes presented therein and moved them into
"North Carolina" sample data area with r.region.

The results of v.to.db/compactness are completely different, likely
because it is a different measure from the Polsby-Popper measure used
there.
However, maybe a dataset to play with...

Best
Markus

--
Markus Neteler, PhD