Hi,

Am 19. Januar 2021 06:28:37 MEZ schrieb Dheeraj Chand
<dhee...@dheerajchand.com>:
>I have a shapefile of US counties in Texas. A map that I am trying to conceive
>would 1) separate the polygons to add some distance / whitespace between the
>constituting polygons 2) preserve their relative positioning 3) color the
>polygons on a graduation of average income and 4) while preserving shapes,
>increase or decrease size based on population .
>
>Am I crazy, is there such a map ? What would it be called or described as?

This generally called a cartogram or a chorogram:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartogram?wprov=sfla1

Today the most used method, AFAIK, is this one:
https://www.pnas.org/content/101/20/7499

>How could I make this in GRASS?

You can't make this in GRASS GIS.

You can find code from one of the authors of above paper here:
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/cart/.

QGIS used to have plugin for this: https://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/cartogram/
Don't know if that is still active.

Then there is scapetoad:
http://chorogram.choros.ch/scapetoad/chorogram.php

In R you can use Rcartogram:
https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/cartogram/index.html

Geoda and others also offer this functionality.

Moritz