>Helmut ... thank you for your example however I think there is a misunderstanding of what I am trying to do.
>I am using >GRASS on Linux (on a cluster) and the issue I am experiencing is overlaying two polygon maps (layers in Arc-speak).
>Points and lines on top of ONE set of polygons works fine as you have shown, however using two or more polygon maps
>(layers) does not seem to work. I attached an example of what i am trying to achieve: Take for instance a polygon
>representing Italy and you wanted it colored dark gray, then you want to overlay on top of that an administrative map
>showing only the areas of Lazio and Liguria colored in blue but no other administrative areas. The result would look
>like the Italy_sample.png file i attached (I made is using ArcPro as i am not in the office with access to our cluster).
>This is what is not working using the d.mon=png, d.vect tools. Could you please try something similar and see if it works for you (on linux)?

I'm not on linux, though I think it works there too.

testing here in with winGRASS 7.8.5 and overlaping vector polygon layers by following commands:

---------------

REM start of the batch file

set GRASS_RENDER_IMMEDIATE=png
set GRASS_RENDER_WIDTH=640
set GRASS_RENDER_HEIGHT=480
set GRASS_RENDER_TRANSPARENT=true
set GRASS_RENDER_TRUECOLOR=true
set GRASS_RENDER_FILE_COMPRESSION=9
set GRASS_MESSAGE_FORMAT=plain
set GRASS_RENDER_FILE_READ=TRUE

g.region vector=x006441899_100_VGD_AT@data

d.vect map=x006441899_100_VGD_AT@data fill_color=192:192:192:255 width=1
d.vect map=x006441899_100_VGD_BL@data color=0:0:0:255 fill_color=128:255:0:255 width=1
d.vect map=x006441899_100_VGD_PG@data color=255:0:0:255 fill_color=0:0:255:255 width=2

REM end of the batch file

see attached file, overlaying several polygones works here.

maybe others can test it on linux.

kind regards
Helmut