I hope that everyone is staying healthy and avoiding the abundant COVID-19
variants running wild in the world.

My overall gisdbase is /data1/grassdata/ and I've reorganized it so all
general locations (different crs/projections) are there, but all my projects
using GRASS are in a projects/ subdirectory. Each project is a distinct
location with its own collection of mapsets. That way I can import data into
its native projection location then reproject it to specific project
locations.

Reading the startup manual page I do not see how to specify a gisdbase as a
subdirectory of grassdata/ and I don't see an example that works if I try,
for example,

$ grass --text /data1/grassdata/projects/my_current_project_location/.

How do I start grass with a three-directory tree for gisdbase rather than
the default two-directory gisdbase?

Regards,

Rich