I found out why my second Graylog VM was seeing a different Elastic index..
so problem solved there.

Still hoping for feedback on the whole strategy though.

How do I make the secondary graylog-server/web stop warning me there are no
configured inputs?

How should these be set on the primary and secondary graylog VM's:

# we don't want the graylog2 server to store any data, or be master node
elasticsearch_node_master = false
elasticsearch_node_data = false