Hi,

New to Graylog, and not really a Linux user/admin.

My LAB deployment quickly ran out of disk space.
I searched the web and the documentation for a how to extend the disk, but
could not find a Step by Step guide.
I ended up doing it the following way - I have posted it in-case it can be
helpful to other newbies.
Any comments much appreciated.

*shut down the VM (just incase you mess something up :) )*

*take a snapshot*

*attach new disk in vmware*

*start the VM*

*stop graylog services:*

sudo graylog-ctl stop

*identify new disk disk (a good bet is that it will be sdb):*

sudo lshw -class disk

*Output:*

  *-disk

       physical id: 0.0.0

       bus info: scsi@2:0.0.0

       *logical name: /dev/sdb*

       size: 100GiB (107GB)

       configuration: sectorsize=512

  *-disk

       product: VMware Virtual I

       physical id: 0.0.0

       bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0

       logical name: /dev/sda

       version: 0001

       serial: 00000000000000000001

       size: 19GiB (20GB)

       capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos

       configuration: ansiversion=5 sectorsize=512 signature=00040ebf

*In this case the new disk is called /dev/sdb*

*format new disk (replace sdb with the disk found with the lshw command):*

sudo mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdb

*create temp mount point for new disk:*

sudo mkdir /mnt/newData

*mount disk to temp mount point*

sudo mount /dev/sdb /mnt/newData

*go to single user mode (might not be necessary, will kill SSH so do it
from console):*

sudo init 1

*copy data to new drive*

sudo cd /var/opt/graylog/data

sudo cp –ax * /mnt/newData

*compare the 2 folders*

sudo diff –qr –suppress-common-lines /var/opt/graylog/data /mnt/newData

*Output should be something like:*

*Only in /mnt/newData: lost+found*

*delete old data folder (to free up disk space on the initial disk)*

sudo rm –r -f /var/opt/graylog/data

*make new mount point*

mkdir /var/opt/graylog/data

*unmount the temp location*

umount /dev/sdb

*mount the new disk to the real location*

mount /dev/sdb /var/opt/graylog/data

*edit fstab to make the mount persistent:*

nano /etc/fstab

*add the folowing line into fstab*

/dev/sdb       /var/opt/graylog/data  ext4    defaults       0 0

*reboot server*

sudo shutdown –r now