This is because your password_secret in the server.conf is too short.

We use AES to encrypt the system password and AES needs 16 characters as inputs
from the secret. If it is too short, then we can’t encrypt it.

If you change it, then you need to reset the passwords of all users except the
builtin admin account.

cheers,
-k