Something I've done as a neat work around is run the query to get a normal
histogram, and then show the hidden field timestamp which exists on all
message. I then generate a chart using that field and change type from mean so
sum. It will then give you a chart matching the histogram above. You can then
repeat the process for other search terms and stack the charts.