OK, so I figured this out myself.

On my Cisco devices, I had the following logging option enabled

logging timestamp

This adds an additional time stamp to every syslog message and that caused
issues with the extractor I was using.
Once I removed this from the Cisco config, the source field in GrayLog
showed just the hostname of the device.

Not sure if there is another way of resolving this where 'logging
timestamp' is still enabled on the Cisco devices?