2009/12/30 cc <carlcl...@lavabit.com>:
> Well, I sort of cheat: I run Apache on my (Windows) machine and serve
> certain pages from there. It works pretty well for this and other
> things, although Apache's configuration could be more intuitive. I've
> heard good things of lighttpd, also, but have never tried it. And of
> course there are lots of other web servers you could use, IIS among them.

As a small aside, I strongly recommend taking a look at WAMP [1] and XAMPP [2].

They aren't recommended for public-facing sites because they are very
open and very insecure when used 'out of the box' but it is very
useful as a local testing server (exactly as it is intended to be
used).

[1] WAMP - Windows, Apache, MySql & PHP - http://www.wampserver.com/en/
[2] XAMPP - Cross (X) platform Apache, MySql, PHP & Perl -
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html