It should be easy:

   1. Add a new script from the Greasemonkey menu.
   2. Give it a namespace and a name. The name is what you'll see as
   visible name. The combination of namespace+name has to be unique for all
   installed scripts, so the namespace should be something that's likely going
   to be exclusively used by you.
   3. Narrow down the matching url pattern in the "@include" rule as close
   as possible to the pattern the comic pages use, so if the comics are for
   example http://www.example.org/show/?p=3512, use
   http://www.example.org/show/?p=* as pattern.
   4. Add the "framework": define a (so far empty) "modify" function, and
   execute it as soon as the page is loaded through the
   window.addEventListener functionality below it:

   function modify() {
   }
   window.addEventListener("load", modify, false);

   This way your code inside the "modify" function will run when the page
   is done loading, at which point the link should actually be present.
   5. Inside the "modify" function, do the actual manipulation of the HTML
   source code in 5 easy steps:
   1. Find the link element using the functions getElementByID,
      getElementsByTagName, getElementsByName. Use MDN or any source you like
for
      a reference how these functions work.
      2. Get the image's URL from the link's href attribute
      3. Create an img tag using the document.createElement function.
      Again, use MDN to see how this function works.
      4. Assign the src attribute of the img node to the link (which should
      be an image file already), define a suitable thumbnail width and height,
      and add a style attribute with "border: 1px solid black" (optional).
      5. Remove the link's original child nodes (i. e. the text) and append
      the newly created img node as a child. This way you get a clickable
      thumbnail.

You can do it. :)

Chris