*PUBLIC MEETING*

* *

*ON*

***PALESTINE LIBERATION STRUGGLE *

*and*

*ISRAILI OCCUPATION*

*

*Stand by the Struggling People of Palestine!*

* Raise Voices against Israeli War of Occupation!!*

* *

*Remember the solidarity shown to Palestine here and everywhere... and
remember also that there is a cause to which many people have committed
themselves, difficulties and terrible obstacles notwithstanding. Why?
Because it is a just cause, a noble ideal, a moral quest for equality and
human rights. -- Edward Said*

*Dear Friends,*

Yet again a new slew of indescribable horrific attacks on Palestine by
Israel have jolted us out of our complacent and comfortable lives and thrown
the question of Palestine square on our faces for a serious understanding.
The massacre starting 27 December 2008 left over 1500 killed--more than 50%
being women and children. The weapons used include deadly chemical
substances like white phosphorous, which induce genetic mutations and
deformities. However this is not the first time that Israel has violated
international laws, the United Nations' Charter, Declaration of Human Rights
and even basic natural rights of humans to further its heinous political
designs. However what is required is not mere condemnation of these acts of
violence but along with it a deeper understanding of history of the two
states of Palestine and Israel.

Today Israel continues its onslaught of the Palestinians as the many
governments of the world's countries continue to remain mute spectators
while American imperialists abet and rule through Zionist Israel in the
region. Western intellectual discourse and thereby the media tends to dwell
more on constructions of "Islamic terrorism", which obscures the real
question of Palestine -- that of its liberation. While we continue to
protest against Israeli atrocities on Palestinians and demand justice and
peace in the region, we must also realize that combating any issue requires
going back to its roots and understanding its emergence. Is peace possible
when people are being denied the basic right of self-determination and
national identity? What the moment requires of us is the understanding what
Edward Said calls the ironic double vision to see what the promise of a
homeland for a people has meant for another.

We, the students and teachers of Delhi University desire that the Indian
Government should immediately cut off all diplomatic ties with the state of
Israel and lend support unequivocally to the people of Palestine in their
struggle for establishing their nation, state and territorial integrity. The
UN should stop acting as an agent of the axis of American and the Zionist
states.

*Public Meeting *

*10th February 2009 at 11 AM *

*Film Screening: Gaza: The Killing Zone*

*Meeting follows at 12 noon.*

*In Room No. 22, Faculty of Arts, University of Delhi North Campus*

*Chairperson: Arjumand Ara, Department of Urdu, University of Delhi*

*Speakers: Prof. Achin Vanaik, Head, Deptt. of Political Science, University
of Delhi*

*Dr. Zafrul-Islam Khan, Editor Milli Gazette *

*Prof. Kamal Mitra Chenoy, Jawaharlal Nehru University*

*University Community*

*A group of Students and Teachers of the University of Delhi*

*universitycommun...@gmail.com,*

*http://duniversitycommunity.wordpress.com*

--
University Community

Students and Teachers of University of Delhi

Discover your phone style & WIN a Windows Mobile phone. Your style! Try it
now! <http://www.whatsmyphonestyle.com/>

--
Never be ashamed to admit you were wrong. You are only saying that you're
wiser today than you were yesterday.

--
MD. MAHTAB ALAM
mdmahtaba...@gmail.com