http://tehelka.com/story_main41.asp?filename=cr140309change_makers.asp

>From Tehelka Magazine, Vol 6, Issue 10, Dated Mar 14, 2009

ENGAGED CIRCLE - Education - Change Makers Inc

Benjamin Kaila has transformed a hundred dalit lives. SHOBHITA NAITHANI
tracks his visionary story

BY THE time Benjamin Kaila had turned 10, experience had taught him what it
meant to be a dalit: that touching an upper caste was sacrilege. As a
student of Class 5, Kaila had accidentally tapped the hand of an examiner
who had come to inspect the school. What followed was severe cane-whipping
by the inspector.

Three decades later, Kaila's elder son, Paul, is the lead designer for the
Robotics team in his school in Los Angeles and his younger son Andrew, wants
to be a paleontologist - career prospects unheard of at a time when Kaila
would have to walk for miles, through passages used for defecation and
dumping of dead animals, to reach his Telugu-medium school in Andhra
Pradesh's Guntur district.

So when Kaila, 47, moved to the US in 1999 with his family, the software
consultant decided to help students who were bright but belonged to
socially, educationally, and economically backward communities (especially
dalits). In 2003, with the help of two friends in Hyderabad, he started the
Ambedkar Scholarships in the memory of his parents.

To begin with there were two scholarships of Rs 5,000 each, for Dalit
students who passed class 10 with first class marks. The following year, the
number of scholarships went up to 23. In 2007, 99 students were awarded the
scholarship. This year, the number will cross 100. A pplicants are judged on
the basis of merit, economic status and an essay, with a preference for
children from government schools and a 50 percent reservation for girls. For
dstudents, the scholarship offers not only financial, but moral support as
well.

Panga Ramesh, 20, the son of a daily wage labourer is now studying medicine
at Osmania Medical College, Hyderabad. 'My mother earns Rs 200 a day. It was
with the scholarship that I could afford my Class 12 books', says the 2005
awardee.

Like his parents, both elementary school teachers, Kaila, as a child,
decided to be an educator. 'I had seen that, as teachers, my parents were
respected - however little - despite being dalits', he says. So after a BSc
from a Guntur college, Kaila enrolled himself for a Bachelor in Education
diploma. At 26, Kaila moved to Hyderabad for a computer course. 'It was this
trip that turned my life around', he recalls. A relative gifted him a copy
of Dalit icon BR Ambedkar's biography. Prior to that episode, Ambedkar was
known to Kaila as only the 'Father of the Constitution'. After reading
Ambedkar, Kaila says he became 'selfless'. An association with the Bahujan
Samaj Party followed. He met Kanshi Ram and started a Telugu Bahujan Welfare
Society while working in the IT industry. He quit and moved to the US in
1999.

SINCE 2003, Kaila has added several small projects to the ongoing scheme.
Scholarships have been extended to children from scavenging families,
microloans to those looking to start a small-scale business, financial help
to victims of caste atrocities and awards to Dalit trendsetters. In 2007
Kaila registered an NGO, Friends for Education International in US.

As Kaila prepares for the sixth Ambedkar Awards ceremony, scheduled for
April 2009, he recalls: 'My grandfather used to burn dead bodies at the
cremation ground. I tell my children that had I not educated myself, I would
have done the same and it would have been passed down to them.' But the
reality is that Kaila is a changemaker and will continue to transform lives.

--
"Rosa sat so Martin could walk; Martin walked so Obama could run, Obama ran
so your children can fly"

--
Ranjit