Delhi’s reverse racism 19 Jun 2009, 0000 hrs IST, TNN

Those of us who’d be quick to point fingers at Australians and Canadians in
the current context of racial attacks might as well take a hard look [image:
Delhi’s reverse racism]
Delhi’s reverse racism
 within. Are we kind to foreign students? Do we make sure their time in
India is memorable and pleasant?

Or is it that we like to reserve our ‘niceness’ and ‘racial tolerance’ only
for some? DT takes a look...

Gori syndrome
Call it preferential racism, or the white skin syndrome, but we like to be
nice to white people; and are suspicious and wary of those who hail from
other parts of the global village. Apartheid may have ended, but problems
faced by Africans in the capital are yet to come to an end. Moelelwa
Mashala, from South Africa, who has just completed her BA from Miranda House
says she faces humiliation every day. “When I walk on the streets, people
laugh at me, and I can hear them say words like ‘Kalu’. When I first came
here, I was shocked, I had no idea Indians could be racist. But I guess the
society is not used to black people,” she says.

And racism towards Africans doesn’t stop at derogatory comments. Mutahi, a
Kenyan from Ramjas College states it is almost impossible for an African to
get a house in India and when they do, they’re charged double. But what hurt
him most was the conduct of his teachers. “They think we are second-rate
students and can never do well in anything. In fact, when one of us scores
well, they’ll say to the other students – ‘Look, this ‘Kalu’ has scored
better than you’, as though it were demeaning for an Indian to be outdone by
an African.”

Osama-ed!
This reverse racism is not restricted to Africans alone. You’d think Middle
Eastern people would enjoy a better understanding here in India than in any
other part of the world, but sadly, we do an America on them too –
‘terrorist’ and ‘suicide bomber’ are just some of the words they have to put
up with. “People I met for the first time would be really friendly till
they’d discover I was a Muslim from Iran,” says Fakhroddin Ghaffari, a
23-year-old student of music, “After that point, it would get really weird.
They would just bottle up.”
“They’d call me Osama,” says Kaif, another 23-year-old from Afghanistan,
studying political science at Jamia Millia. “In the beginning I used to feel
bad and got into fights, but I’ve learnt to ignore such comments now.”

Objects of desire
So much for crying hoarse over racial equality for Indians. But that doesn’t
necessarily have to mean we’re a nation of the racial and the prejudiced
where xenophobia runs amok. There’s one saving grace: the whites are treated
better, with less suspicion and more courteousness. Jane Hosking, an
Australian who studied at LSR, says she had a really good time in India and
loves the people here. “While I was in India I experienced prejudice in a
good way. When people saw me, they’d be kind and welcoming,” says the
political science student.
But here too, there’s a catch, they get harassed as well, only the nature
very of harassment speaks of white women as objects to be desired, not
despised. “It seems to me that some men see western women purely as sexual
objects and therefore do not treat them with respect. All other young women
I have spoken to, who have travelled to India, have mentioned that they have
faced sexual harassment while here,” adds Jane. Atithi Devo Bhava, anyone?

Aarushi Nigam

--
Ranjit