http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/mausam/gangubai.html

 *On Gangubai Hangal by Sabina Sehgal*  Nicknamed "gaanewali", she was
ostracized by the orthodox brahmins. But her irrepressible talent brought
her the respect, status and the financial security she has always craved.
Sabina Sehgal met Padma Bhushan Gangubai Hangal during her 75th birthday
celebrations at her hometown, Hubli.

The story of the little girl Gangubai from Hangal, a remote village in
Karnataka, almost reads like a fairy tale. Except that today, as Dr Gangubai
Hangal turns 75 and continues to live happily ever after, her life and
times, infinitely more than her music and fame, assume gigantic proportions.
Because hers is not just a simple rags-to-riches story, but
a far more complex one, which cannot be bandied simply as one from
degradation to respectability.

Born in Dharwar, in 1913, into a family of Gangamats, or a class of simple
boatmen, the social milieu in which Gangubai was brought up was by no means
conducive. Being a shudra, and that too of the lowest order, was compounded
by the fact that she was born into a family where the female folk assumed
the role of what was euphemistically referred to as "Angavasthra", a term
which, if literally translated, would correspond
to an additional cloth or ornament draped by sophisticated men as a status
symbol; a practice which was not necessarily considered immoral a century
back. Gangubai, like her mother Ambabai, and her grandmother Kamlabai, all
good musicians in their own right, belonged to this tradition. Both her
father, Shri Nadgir and her husband, Shri Kaulgi, were brahmins, but
interestingly, neither she nor her mother, assumed their names after
marriage, or lived with them and their families; even Gangubai's children
and grandchildren continue to call themselves "Hangal".

In fact, right from when she can remember, her life has been a series of
contradictions. Of some childhood experiences in a predominant brahmin
neighbourhood, Gangubai says: "I remember stealing fruit from our
neighbour's mango trees. More than the act of stealing, I remember the
neighbours being horrified that a singer's daughter should step into their
compound. I would be thrown out. Incidentally, the same people invite me
over to their house today and call me 'Gangubai' with great respect. There
are so many incidents that I will never forget--I
remember singing for the Belgaum Congress session which was attended by
Gandhiji--my only paranoia throughout the programme was that I would be
asked to eat my food separately."

And it is against this backdrop that it becomes essential to study the
evolution of one of the greatest female musicians of our times. Gangubai's
mother was a Carnatic music vocalist, but once her daughter started learning
Hindustani music, she gave up her own style of singing so that her daughter
could best hone her talents.

Gangubai's stage debut took place in Bombay, at the Bombay Music Circle,
where she was heard by several eminent musicians. After her debut here,
Jadden Bai (mother of film actress Nargis) convinced her to participate in a
music conference in Calcutta. Gangubai recalls, "In Calcutta, when the
organizers saw me, they insisted that I first sing in a private sitting a
night before my concert was scheduled. I couldn't understand why they
couldn't wait till the next day. Nisar Husain Khan Saheb took me aside and
explained that the organizers had doubts about what I, a frail girl at that
time, was capable of! I sang and was greatly appreciated. In fact, I was
awarded a gold medal by the Maharaja of Tripura. At the same concert, I kept
remembering my mother who was no more, and just then felt a hand on my
shoulder. When I turned around, I saw K. L. Saigal, who said, 'bahut surila'
(very melodious). I was happy but then very upset that a strange man should
touch me!"

Other than her mother, Gangubai owes her musical training to Shri
Krishnacharya, Shri Dattopant Desai and most significantly, to Pt. Rambhau
Kundgolkar, better known as Sawai Gandharva--guru and teacher to many
eminent musicians including Pt. Bhimsen Joshi and Firoze Dastur. Another
strong influence on Gangubai's music, though indirect, was the singer from
Agra, Zohrabai. Says Gangubai, "Even today I love Zohrabai's music."

Reminiscing about her training with her guru Sawai Gandharva, Gangubai
recalls, "Guruji lived in Kundgol and I in Hubli--a distance of about 30
kilometres. I formally started learning from him somewhere around 1937, by
which time I had a family to look after and anyway, it would have been
impossible to live in Kundgol with him like Bhim-'Anna' (Bhimsen Joshi) did.
And so I would travel from Hubli to Kundgol by train every evening,
accompanied by my uncle Ram-'Anna', who lived with us. I still remember
vividly the reception I received whenever I walked down the streets to
guruji's house in Kundgol. People would rush out of their houses and jeer,
'Dekho, dekho, gaanewali aiyi hai' (see, see, the singer has come). It was
humiliating, but I got used to it."

On the actual technique of training, Gangubai says, "Guruji did not teach me
more than four Ragas. He often drew an analogy between swaras and money and
said that one must spend only as much as is required of both. My practice
would follow this method. I was given a certain 'palta' and would have to
keep repeating it for days on end. It seemed
boring and monotonous then, but later I thanked him for this rigorous
training. The entire relationship with a guru was different in those days.
Our respect for him was so great that there was no question of us asking him
to teach us something particular, not because of our blind devotion, but
because of our innate belief that he knew what was best
for us. I remember getting caught by him invariably, whenever I tried
something new. For instance, on radio, I sang Raga Bhinbhas [sic], working
it out on my own, quite confident that guruji would not hear me, as there
was no electricity in Kundgol. But as luck would have it, he happened to be
in Belgaum that evening. I was subsequently taken to task for using a komal
dhaivat in Bhinbhas. This was followed by comprehensive training of the
Raga. There are so many Ragas with which I associate a strange incident with
guruji--Suha, Marwa ... the list is endless."

But right through her days of training and more so after that, Gangubai's
major concern was grappling with the more immediate financial problems that
she increasingly found herself in. As Gangubai puts it, "Peace of mind is
very essential in anything that you do--particularly in music. But in my
case, it was just the opposite. What new things
could I learn when I was constantly disturbed and unhappy? And I tell you,
this whole concept of getting lost in music and forgetting the world around
you, is a myth. In my case, I can openly say that my troubles and problems
were not forgotten by just holding the tanpura in my hand. When I would sit
down for riyaz, I would, on the contrary, break down and cry over the daily
scene. Over the question of just surviving through the next day. And it
wasn't for me that I was worried, but for the entire family that I
supported. I personally never thought of becoming rich, of having a new car
or house. Those ambitions never entered my mind. All I knew then was the
money was not enough. There were many humiliations I had to face because of
this. A certain lady musician in Pune invited me over to her house one day.
Her mother asked how much I charged for a concert. I told her Rs 125. She
suggested that I move over to Pune and accept all her daughter's rejected
programmes. They knew I was very badly off. I was insulted by this
suggestion and left their house immediately. But later I thought that maybe
they were trying to be helpful."

Gangubai's relationship with her husband Shri Gururao Kaulgi has played a
very significant role in her life. He proposed a civil marriage to her, but
she turned it down because "he belonged to a respectable family and I wanted
him to continue to belong there." Gangubai insisted that he marry his cousin
and in fact grew very fond of his wife and their children.

Her selfless devotion to him was never considered a sacrifice by her and
even though he was a brahmin, a lawyer, it was ironically she who supported
him throughout. "He did not practise law and so whatever money I earned, I
just placed before him. He invested in business--trucks, cars--but lost
everything. I could not bear to see him unhappy. Often he would disappear
from home for months on end. The bank people would come and harass me, ask
for my property as I was unable to repay the loans. This happened several
times. I had to sell everything I had. I will never forget or forgive myself
for not being by his bedside before he died. I had a programme in Bombay,
but I did not want to go. He insisted because we needed the money. While I
was performing, he died."

On her life as a performer, Gangubai recalls the grand old days of the All
India Music Conference, when the best in the music world--Omkarnath,
Kesarbai, Bismillah Khan, Allauddin Khan, Siddeshwari Devi and many others
would come for nine days, from December 25 to January 1 every year and hear
each other sing. Each artiste was assigned two sittings. "It was a great
experience. Unfortunately those days are over. Nowadays, you seldom see an
artiste listening to another artiste. Also, the sangeet jalsas, would go on
for hours. I remember the tickets were priced at 50 paise for sitting on the
ground and a rupee for a chair! All this may sound quaint today.

"But there was a strong bond between us artistes in the old days. I remember
when Siddheshwari Devi was laid in bed with paralysis, we went to meet her
and asked her if she needed help. She asked me to sing Bhairavi for her. She
listened with tears in her eyes."

Gangubai has many more reflections--on the dance she once learnt--kathak, on
her mother whom she loved dearly, on the musical scenario, on concerts, on
gharanas, on life, on students of today, on her voice, which many brand as
"more manly than the best male voice."

Hubli, the town which has seen Gangubai at every stage of her life, paid a
touching tribute to the grand old lady recently on the occasion of her
seventy-fifth birthday. The three-day celebration was attended by all those
close to her, including her family, Pt. Bhimsen Joshi, Mrs Vijaya Mulley
(who has known Gangubai for many years, done research on her and recently
made an extremely sensitive film on her), Dr. S. S. Gore, Bhairappa, H. Y.
Shardaprasad and several others. Said Shardaprasad, "The greatness of this
lady lies in her simplicity--it is this that draws her to both old and young
alike." Pt. Bhimsen Joshi recounted his association with her and was moved
by the occasion. The special photo and book exhibition on the Kirana
gharana, mounted by Sateesh Paknikar of Pune, was outstanding. A book and a
series of records released on the occasion throw special light on the life
of Gangubai and contain well-researched, valuable material--a treasure for
posterity.

Even today, at 75, and yet actively performing, recipient of every
comprehensible award, including the Padma Bhushan, the Tansen Award, The
Sangeet Natak Akademi Award, among others, Gangubai's experience with life
does not allow her to be affected by any of it. She often laughs that
Karnataka University has conferred a doctorate on her. "I have not studied
beyond class V you know."

Reflecting on the time she was awarded the Padma Bhushan, she says, "Ramanna
and I stayed up the whole night and remembered all the things one would like
to forget--the mental traumas, the pain, the suffering. What a happy moment
and such unhappy thoughts!"

A lot of people ask Gangubai what it feels like being 75. She smiles, but
has no words. The look on her face tells you all. It is almost as if she is
laughing at the words, scoffing those who shower her with honour and
respectability now, when she no longer needs it; perhaps when she was 25 or
30 she would have had more use for it!

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 1:31 AM, rajesh katulkar <rajeshkatul...@yahoo.co.in

--
Gyanendra Kumar,