http://www.frontline.in/stories/20110923281903200.htm

*Volume 28 - Issue 19 :: Sep. 10-23, 2011*

*Modi's troubles*

ANUPAMA KATAKAM

*The ghosts of the 2002 communal pogrom keep haunting Gujarat Chief Minister
Narendra Modi.*

AS much as Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi tries to push them away, the
ghosts of the 2002 pogrom come back to haunt him over and over again. It has
been a rough few months for Modi, who is battling detractors, including
police officers and politicians he considers his staunch enemies.

August has been a particularly eventful month for Modi, who now distances
himself from the worst communal riots the country has seen in recent times.
To begin with, two high-profile cases came up, involving senior police
officers Sanjiv Bhatt and Rahul Sharma, who reportedly have substantial
evidence to show that key politicians were responsible for orchestrating
much of the violence. Another officer, Rajneesh Rai, filed an affidavit
alleging that some senior police officers in Gujarat sabotaged the
Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake encounter case.

On August 29, Modi was dealt a severe blow when the Gujarat High Court
acquitted 12 Muslims charged with murdering Bharatiya Janata Party Minister
Haren Pandya. Modi has been insisting for 11 years that Pandya's
assassination was a revenge killing by Muslims. Modi's detractors, however,
allege politics was a more likely motive. Modi and Pandya's rivalry was well
known, particularly after a public spat in which Pandya refused to give up
his Ellisbridge seat to Modi in the State Assembly elections.

And if Pandya's case was not bad enough, Modi's bête noire Sanjay Joshi was
re-inducted into the BJP by senior leaders to manage Uttar Pradesh. Joshi's
popularly in Gujarat apparently threatened Modi. In 2005, a controversy
erupted when a CD suddenly surfaced with images of Joshi, a bachelor, with
an unidentified woman. Joshi resigned as party general secretary over the
controversy and has since been attempting to make a comeback.

*The Police*

In March this year, Indian Police Service (IPS) officer Sanjiv Bhatt of the
Gujarat cadre filed an affidavit in the Supreme Court saying that the Chief
Minister had held a meeting on February 27, 2002, a day before the communal
carnage started, and ordered officials to go slow on rioters – in other
words close their eyes to the violence that would unfold. Bhatt claimed he
was “personally” present when Modi issued these orders. According to Bhatt,
he “directed” the senior police officers to “allow the Hindus to vent their
ire on the Muslims” in the aftermath of the Godhra train fire.

Meanwhile, former Gujarat Home Secretary K. Nityanandam and former
Additional Principal Secretary Anil Mukim told the Nanavati-Mehta Commission
probing the 2002 riots that Bhatt was not present at Modi's residence on the
night of February 27, 2002. They said they were there and were certain that
he was not.

Since then, Bhatt has had several run-ins with the Modi government.
Following the affidavit, Modi's team resurrected a 21-year-old custodial
death case in which Bhatt was allegedly involved. When Bhatt failed to
appear in court in early August for the hearing, suspension papers were sent
to him.

Senior IPS officer Rahul Sharma was the Deputy Commissioner of Police in the
Control Room in Ahmedabad when the 2002 riots erupted across Gujarat. Sharma
was asked to assist in the investigation into the massacre at Naroda Patiya
in Ahmedabad during the riots. During the course of the probe, he reportedly
collected records of thousands of hours of phone calls between police
officers, bureaucrats and key politicians during the two most violent days
of the riots.

The data are supposed to be explosive. Informed sources say the location
records of calls, which show where the people concerned were at a given time
when a call was made, could provide clinching evidence in nailing the
perpetrators of the 2002 pogrom.

The phone records collected by Sharma for the period between February 27 and
March 4 in 2002 evidently show that after the burning of the Sabarmati
Express at Godhra and during the riots, the rioters were in touch with
policemen and politicians. These conversations apparently shatter the theory
that the riots were a spontaneous reaction to the burning of the train that
was carrying kar sevaks returning from Ayodhya. The phone calls indicate
that the violence was planned and that the police were instructed not to
take calls from those who were being attacked.

Sharma submitted his findings to the Nanavati Commission and later to the
Supreme Court. It was when the records of the calls came into the public
domain in 2010 that the Committee for Justice and Peace (CJP), which has
been fighting for justice for the riot victims, accessed the phone records
and analysed the data. It believes that the evidence is crucial to the
Special Investigation Team's (SIT) investigation and that the material can
be used as corroboratory evidence.

The activist Teesta Setalvad is convinced that the information gained from
the location records can help in charging those culpable for the pogrom.
“These data are explosive and if they are accepted, several of the accused
will be left with little defence. Furthermore, many of those who are
responsible for the atrocities committed on Muslims and who are not yet in
the SIT net could be captured with this evidence,” she said.

By now, several cases prove that Modi has no tolerance for officers who go
against him. And in vintage Modi style, he uses the law to his advantage to
persecute those who go against him. In February this year, Sharma was served
a show-cause notice and asked why he should not be charge-sheeted for
collecting the data when he was not authorised to do so.

Sharma took on the State government by demanding documents under the Right
to Information Act, to prove that he had not done anything illegal or out of
his jurisdiction. However, the Gujarat High Court rejected his writ petition
asking for documents to prove his case. A day later, on August 13, the
officer was charge-sheeted.

The Congress has slammed the charge-sheeting. Ambika Soni, Union Minister
for Information and Broadcasting, said, “The BJP government in Gujarat is
stifling all opinion that goes against them.”

Party spokesperson Manish Tiwari said, “The Gujarat government is pulling
out all stops to see that the truth about the Gujarat massacre remains
buried forever. We had earlier pointed out that the allegations made by
Sanjiv Bhatt are extremely serious in nature because they deal with
obstruction of justice.”

Union Home Minister P. Chidambaram recently accused the Gujarat government
of persecuting IPS officers and said that until the officers took the matter
to the Centre there was little he could do.

*Political foes*

Undoubtedly, Haren Pandya was a thorn in Modi's side. He was a staunch
supporter of Keshubhai Patel, a colleague in the State BJP with whom Modi
has not had very warm relations. Pandya and Modi had bitter differences,
mainly over the Ellisbridge constituency which Modi believed was a safe BJP
seat and felt Pandya should let him contest from it. Pandya refused.
Although Pandya supposedly played a significant role in orchestrating the
riots once they started, he was never rewarded for that. In fact, he was not
given the party ticket to contest the 2002 Assembly elections and was
further sidelined when the BJP came to power.

Pandya's murder in 2002 came soon after the riots and most people were
convinced it was a vendetta killing in response to his active participation
in the murder of more than 1,000 Muslims. Gunmen led by one Asghar Ali
reportedly stopped his car and shot him in broad daylight. A dozen men,
mostly from Hyderabad, were convicted for the murder.

On August 29, 2011, a Division Bench of the Gujarat High Court dropped the
murder charges (under Section 302 of the Indian Penal Code) against all of
them, noting that the prosecution had failed to prove the commission of
murder by the accused beyond doubt and that the investigation was “botched”
up. However, the Division Bench retained all the other charges, including
those under the Prevention of Terrorism Act (POTA), Section 307 of the IPC
(attempt to murder) and Section 120-B (criminal conspiracy).

The POTA court had given the life sentence to Asghar Ali. The Bench reduced
the sentence to seven years' rigorous imprisonment in the case of Asghar
Ali. For the remaining 11, the sentences were reduced to “the period they
have already spent in jails”.

The two judges said “the investigating officers ought to be held accountable
for their ineptitude resulting in injustice, harassment of many persons and
enormous waste of public resources and time of the courts”. The judgment,
they said, was based completely on scientific evidence. An activist said
that the judge presiding over the POTA court had convicted these men on the
basis of just one eyewitness account. “We have maintained from the beginning
that it was a political murder, not vengeance by Muslims over the Gujarat
communal carnage as claimed and projected by the government,” said Asaduddin
Owaisi, a Member of Parliament from Hyderabad.

Owaisi, who helped the accused from Hyderabad fight the eight-year-long
legal battle, said: “Now there are bigger questions that have to be
answered. Why did the government of Andhra Pradesh cooperate in the
conspiracy hatched by the Narendra Modi government to make people from
Hyderabad accused in cases that had nothing to do with them? The other
question is about the biased investigation carried out by the CBI [Central
Bureau of Investigation]. The UPA [United Progressive Alliance] government
should find out why the CBI officials followed the local police line in this
case,” he said. “I don't know whether the scars of accusations and trial
will ever heal.”

The implications of the judgment for Modi are still unclear. It does perhaps
vindicate the stand that maybe Pandya was not murdered by Muslims and there
could be a larger agenda behind the killing. The timing worked for the
conspirators as the riots had just taken place and elections were looming
large.

Meanwhile, another salvo has been fired at Modi in the form of the
appointment of a Lokayukta by Gujarat Governor Kamla Beniwal. The BJP has
called it “undemocratic” and has accused Kamla Beniwal of violating the
federal structure. Are Modi's days numbered? For now it appears he will
remain a big fish in a small pond. But the writing is clearly on the wall.
-- 
Peace Is Doable

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Green Youth Movement" group.
To post to this group, send an email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/greenyouth?hl=en-GB.

Reply via email to