I/II.
http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report_haren-pandya-murder-wife-moves-gujarat-hc-for-fresh-probe_1585707

Haren Pandya murder: Wife moves Gujarat HC for fresh probe
Published: Saturday, Sep 10, 2011, 17:44 IST
By *DNA Correspondent <http://www.dnaindia.com/authors/dna-correspondent>* |
Place: Ahmedabad |

The suspense surrounding the investigation of the Haren Pandya murder case
has deepened as Jagruti Pandya, wife of the slain BJP leader, has filed a
petition in the Gujarat high court for further investigation of the case.
Earlier this month, Jagruti had said that her husband's killers were still
roaming free and that she would seek appropriate legal recourse for justice.

On Friday, Justice SR Brahmbhatt heard her petition and ordered that it be
placed before Justice RH Shukla on September 13, as such petitions are heard
by Justice Shukla.

Earlier senior counsel SV Raju, on behalf of Jagruti Pandya, had requested
Justice Brahmbhatt to hear the petition as Justice Shukla was on leave.

The petition is a fall-out of the high court verdict last month that
acquitted 12 people convicted in the case by the trial court. While
delivering the verdict, the court had also lashed out at the Central Bureau
of Investigation (CBI) for poor investigation of the case.

In her petition, Jagruti has stated that the division bench of the high
court had clearly said that the investigation was not carried out fairly and
impartially, a fact that was apparent even otherwise.

"There are several other factors, apart from what has been observed by the
bench, which necessitate a reinvestigation or further investigation," the
petition says.

Jagruti has further submitted that she had come to know that RB Sreekumar,
former chief of state intelligence bureau, was asked to find out who was the
minister in the Narendra Modi cabinet who had gone to meet members of a
private enquiry commission. The private commission was set up under the
chairmanship of former Supreme Court judge, Justice Krishna Iyer.

The instruction to Sreekumar was given by PK Mishra, then principal
secretary of the chief minister, Jagruti's petition states adding that
Sreekumar was also given a mobile number and asked to keep it under watch.

Jagruti Pandya has also mentioned in her petition the statement by Azam
Khan, a witness in the Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake encounter case. Khan had said
that Sohrabuddin was saved from being implicated in the Haren Pandya murder
case by a police official.

She said the CBI had not investigated an important witness, Kalimuddin alias
Nayeemuddin, though he was wanted in the Haren Pandya case. The initial
investigation of the case was carried out by the crime branch when DG
Vanzara was posted there. IPS officer Abhay Chudasama was sent on deputation
for one month to the CBI to assist the case.

Later, both these officers were prima facie found involved in concocting
false cases and were arrested in the Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake encounter case.

Earlier, the high court bench which acquitted all the 12 people convicted in
the Haren Pandya murder case by the trial court, had also questioned the CBI
probe over injuries, bullets fired and the absence of blood stains in the
car in which Haren's body was found. The bench had also noted that the call
details of Haren Pandya's mobile were missing from the case papers. The
court had also refused to accept the eyewitness account in the case.

II.

http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news/ishrat-killing-hc-seeks-final-sit-report-by-oct-5/844501/
Ishrat killing: HC seeks final SIT report by Oct 5Express News ServicePosted:
Sep 10, 2011 at 0250 hrs IST

*Ahmedabad* **Directs forensic and medical experts to answer investigators’
queries on evidence within 2 weeks*

The Gujarat High Court on Friday directed the Special Investigation Team
(SIT) probing into the 2004 Ishrat Jahan encounter case to submit its final
report by October 5. The court also directed SIT chairman R R Verma to
communicate its order to the experts to get clarifications on the SIT
queries for the forensic and other evidence gathered within two weeks.

A division bench comprising Justices Jayant Patel and Abhilasha Kumari is
conducting hearing of the matter.

On Friday, the three members of the SIT — Verma, Mohan Jha and Satish Verma
— were present before the HC. The SIT has submitted its latest status report
on the development in the case, and the court expressed satisfaction over
the progress.

During hearing, it came out that Verma had sought assistance of some
officers of the central government. On being asked by Justice Patel whether
he was getting co-operation from the Centre, he answered in affirmative.

On the reports of the Central Forensic Science Laboratory (CFSL) and All
India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), Verma told the court that the
reports have been received and some further queries have been sent to the
authorities for clarifications. He said the reports did not touch certain
issues and therefore some queries were sent. Following this, the court
ordered that the answers to the queries must be provided by the experts
within two weeks.

While acting on a request of the SIT chairman, the court ordered the state
government not to transfer any officer directly or indirectly associated
with the SIT probe. The order came after Verma complained about the transfer
of one such officer outside Ahmedabad. The bench also ordered to re-transfer
the officer in question to Ahmedabad.

Meanwhile, the petitioner lawyers — Mukul Sinha and I H Syed — expressed
concerns over the delay in the SIT investigation. Sinha told the court that
there were instances of witnesses being influenced.

He said the probe seemed to be going into very finer elements of the case,
adding that the probe should be done to decide if the FIR has to be
registered or not. The lapsing time, he added, would be in favour of the
proposed accused.

Syed also expressed similar concerns and demanded a shorter adjournment date
for the matter instead of one month. The court, however, expressed
satisfaction with the probe and kept it for further hearing on October 7.

On Sinha’s complaint of witnesses being influenced, the court said the SIT
chairman was already looking into it and was going to submit a separate
report in that regard.

The court also passed an order that attempts should be made to find the
‘genuineness of the encounter or otherwise’.

Ishrat, Javed Shaikh alias Pranesh Pillai and two others were killed by the
Ahmedabad City Detection of Crime Branch (DCB) in an encounter on June 15,
2004 near Kotarpur Waterworks in Ahmedabad. Police had claimed that the four
were LeT operatives, on a mission to kill prominent personalities, including
Chief Minister Narendra Modi.

-- 
Peace Is Doable

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Green Youth Movement" group.
To post to this group, send an email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/greenyouth?hl=en-GB.

Reply via email to