http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/obama-set-to-speak-on-syria-in-rose-garden/2013/08/31/65aea210-125b-11e3-85b6-d27422650fd5_story.html

Obama says U.S. will take military action against Syria, pending Congress’s
approval
By Ernesto Londoño, Published: August 31

President Obama put on hold Saturday a plan to attack Syria for its alleged
use of chemical weapons, arguing that the United States had a moral
responsibility to respond forcefully but would not do so until Congress has
a chance to vote on the use of military force.

The announcement puts off a cruise missile strike that had appeared
imminent, a prospect that had the region on edge and stoked intense debate
in the United States, where many dread getting dragged into a new war.

Obama did not indicate what he would do if Congress rejects the measure.

Lawmakers are scheduled to return from recess on Sept. 9to begin what is
sure to be a contentious debate about the risks of injecting the United
States into a conflict in which it has few reliable allies and enemies on
both sides of the front lines. The Senate will hold committee hearings on
the proposed strike this week, Majority Leader Harry M. Reid (D-Nev.)
announced Saturday.

The decision to seek congressional approval for what the administration has
said would be a short, limited engagement was a remarkable turn one day
after Secretary of State John F. Kerry delivered an almost-prosecutorial
case for military intervention. Obama made the decision Friday night
following days of agonizing deliberations with members of his Cabinet,
according to administration officials.

Shifting the burden to Congress potentially gives the president a way out
of the political bind he created last year when he said Syrian President
Bashar al-Assad’s use of chemical weapons would be a “red line” for the
United States. It also buys the administration time to shore up domestic
and international support for a strike that many came to see as a hasty
response with potentially catastrophic consequences.

The decision could work in Assad’s favor, giving him more time to prepare
for an attack that could ultimately become politically untenable for Obama.

Obama argued Saturday that the United States would be setting a dangerous
precedent if it did not respond to the Aug. 21 attack in a Damascus suburb,
which U.S. intelligence officials say killed nearly 1,500 civilians,
including 426 children.

“This attack is an assault on human dignity,” Obama said in an impassioned
afternoon address in the White House Rose Garden. “It also presents a
serious danger to our national security. . . . It could lead to escalating
use of chemical weapons, or their proliferation to terrorist groups who
would do our people harm.”

Some members of Congress applauded Obama’s move, a strikingly unusual one
in presidential history, particularly for a leader who has been criticized
for dodging congressional oversight. The president does not need
congressional approval for limited military interventions, and the
executive branch has not sought it in the past.

“At this point in our country’s history, this is absolutely the right
decision, and I look forward to seeing what the administration brings
forward and to a vigorous debate on this important authorization,” said
Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.).
-- 
Peace Is Doable

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Green Youth Movement" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send an email to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/greenyouth.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Reply via email to