http://www.thehindu.com/news/international/world/japan-announces-emergency-funds-to-stem-nuclear-leak/article5088724.ece#.UiWz6FVUS2M.gmail

TOKYO, September 3, 2013

Japan announces emergency funds to stem nuclear leak

Japan said on Tuesday that it would spend over ¥47 billion ($470 million)
in an effort to reduce the amount of radioactive water leaking from the
site of the crippled Fukushima nuclear power plant, Kyodo News Agency
reported.

¥20 billion will come from reserve funds under the fiscal 2013 budget,
Kyodo quoted a government spokesman as saying.

The funds may go towards a plan the government is considering to build a
1.4-kilometre underground water barrier, by freezing the ground around
reactors 1-4 on the site, the report said. The barrier would be designed to
stop around 400 tonnes of groundwater entering the site each day and
becoming contaminated.

The severity of the crisis at Fukushima was raised last week after plant
operator Tokyo Electric Power (Tepco) said about 300 tonnes of radioactive
water that had been used to cool the plant’s damaged reactors leaked from a
storage tank.

The incident level was raised from one to three, the most serious since the
start of the nuclear disaster.

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has said Tepco cannot deal alone with the crisis
at Fukushima, which began when the plant was hit by an earthquake and
tsunami in 2011.

There are growing concerns that a failure to deal with the damaged plant
could affect Tokyo’s bid to host the 2020 Summer Olympics, Kyodo reported.
The venue for the Olympics is due to be decided on September 7.

-- 
Peace Is Doable

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Green Youth Movement" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send an email to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/greenyouth.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Reply via email to