http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Pune-techie-murder-Can-Hindu-Rashtra-Sena-be-banned/articleshow/36158380.cms

Pune techie murder: Can Hindu Rashtra Sena be banned?

IANS | Jun 6, 2014, 07.23 PM IST

PUNE: Police is keen to recommend a ban on ultra right-wing outfit Hindu
Rashtra Sena for its alleged involvement in the brutal murder of a Pune
techie. But, banning is "easier said than done", a top official said.

Pune police commissioner Satish Mathur admitted that imposing a ban would
not be an easy matter.

"Controlling the HRS activities is our priority... But banning any such
organization is easier said than done," Mathur told mediapersons here on
Friday, without elaborating on what he meant.

Nevertheless, the police is gathering documents and evidence which could
help its case seeking a ban which would be sent to the state government, he
added.

Mohsin Sadiq Shaikh, a 27-year-old Solapur techie working in Pune, was
killed by suspected activists of HRS when he was returning home late on
Monday. The killing was ostensibly provoked by certain derogatory Facebook
posts -- which he had nothing to do with -- which led to violence in
different parts of Maharashtra, including Pune, Mumbai last week -- a report
on which has already been submitted to the government.

Shaikh, working as an IT manager with Ujjwala Enterprises in Swargate area
of Pune, was the sole breadwinner for his grieving middle-class family
members who have demanded justice from the government.

Incidentally, the police in Pune and Mumbai registered cases against
unknown people in connection with the Facebook posts.

As many as 13 people were arrested till Tuesday, while another four were
nabbed late on Wednesday for their involvement in the incident. The police
believe at least five more are absconding.

Shaikh's lynching triggered waves of protests on various social networking
sites, while the Congress in New Delhi also condemned the killing.

So far, 17 youth arrested in connection with Shaikh's killing have been
remanded to police custody till June 9 by a Pune court.

Police are still on the lookout for at least five more who are absconding
but whose identity has been established in the ongoing investigations.

Mathur reiterated that the police had acted promptly after they learnt of
the recurring Facebook posts last week, but it was difficult to stop
anybody from uploading such objectionable matter.
Post a comment


-- 
Peace Is Doable

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Green Youth Movement" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send an email to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/greenyouth.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to