[While there is a quantum jump in the airstrikes today carried out by the
US-led alliance in Kobane - 3 on 12th, 6 on 13th and 21 on 14th, Turkey is
constantly dragging its feet as regards allowing its air bases to be used
by the alliance to carry out operations against the ISIS; not only that, it
has reportedly carried out lethal air attacks against the Kurdistan Workers
Party (PKK) - a major force fighting the ISIS, targets near Iraq border.
All in all, the Kurds in Kobane have been able to take back the strategic
Tall Shair hill after ceding it 10 days back.]

I/III.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-29611673

14 October 2014 Last updated at 16:42I

Islamic State crisis: Kurds 'recapture key Kobane hill'
Tall Shair was recaptured after US-led air attacks targeting IS in and
around the town of Kobane

*Kurdish fighters battling Islamic State (IS) say they have recaptured a
strategically important hilltop west of Kobane on Syria's border with
Turkey.*

The advance came as the US said it had conducted 21 air strikes near the
town, slowing down the IS advance.

Tall Shair hill had been captured more than 10 days ago by IS militants.

Later on Tuesday, US President Barack Obama will host talks with military
chiefs from more than 20 countries on how to combat IS in Syria and Iraq.

Correspondents say this is the first time such high-ranking military
officials from so many countries have come together since the US-led
coalition was formed last month.

In a separate development, Turkish warplanes on Monday bombed Kurdistan
Workers' Party (PKK) rebel targets in Hakkari province near the Iraqi
border, causing "heavy casualties", Turkish media report.

If confirmed, this would be the first major air raid by Turkey on the PKK
since a ceasefire was reached in March 2013.

Tens of thousands of Syrians, most of them Kurds, have fled Kobane in the
past month

On Tuesday sources in the Kurdish Popular Protection Units (YPG) told the
BBC that they had regained control of Tall Shair hill-top, about 4km (2.5
miles) to the west and near an informal border crossing.

In a statement the US military said Tuesday's air strikes had destroyed IS
buildings and military vehicles.

The statement said the security situation on the ground "remains fluid with
IS attempting to gain territory and Kurdish militia continuing to hold
out".

One fighter battling IS in Kobane: 'There is no time for sleep'

The battle for Kobane, a predominantly Kurdish town, has lasted for a month
and emerged as a major test of whether the coalition's air campaign can
push back IS.

Two weeks of air strikes against IS targets in and around Kobane have
allowed Kurdish fighters to slow the jihadists' advance, but Turkish and
Western leaders have warned that the town is still likely to fall.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a UK-based activist group,
reported that IS carried out three separate suicide bomb attacks.

Shia militias have been at the forefront of the fight against IS in Iraq

One IS suicide bomber blew up an explosives-filled vehicle in the north of
the town, near the border, while the second targeted an eastern area, it
said. Later, a third bomber attacked a YPG position in the north-east.

The Observatory said it believed IS now controlled about half of Kobane.

Capturing the town, from which more than 160,000 people have fled, would
give the group unbroken control of a long stretch of the Syrian-Turkish
border.

Meanwhile at least 10 Syrian soldiers were killed on Tuesday in fighting
against IS militants in the oil-rich eastern province of Deir Ezzor, the
Syrian Observatory said.

The fighting took place near Deir Ezzor military airport, one of the last
government-controlled outposts in the province.

Deir Ezzor has been a key target of air strikes by the US-led coalition
fighting against IS.
 [image: Timeline showing airstrikes in Iraq and Syria]
II/III.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/10/13/355826418/u-s-strikes-at-isis-in-kobani-as-kurds-claim-progress
U.S. Strikes At ISIS In Kobani As Kurds Claim Progress

by Bill Chappell <http://www.npr.org/people/14562108/bill-chappell>
  October 13, 201410:42 AM ET

The besieged city of Kobani, Syria, has seen an increase in air strikes and
fighting, with Kurdish fighters in the area saying they've stopped the
extremist group ISIS from advancing. As the U.S.-led coalition carried out
strikes on areas east and south of Kobani, new reports emerged about
Turkey's role in supporting the fight against ISIS.

U.S. officials said this weekend that Turkey had agreed to let the
coalition use its bases to strike ISIS. But on Monday, a Turkish official
tells the AP that "there is no new agreement with the United States on
using an air base in southern Turkey," the news agency says
<http://bigstory.ap.org/article/4d212169b8c34bbcb47a18f942fe7aac/fierce-fighting-resumes-syrian-kurdish-town>
.

On Friday, the U.S. State Department announced that Turkey would train and
equip a moderate opposition in Syria to help fight ISIS. Turkey's
discussions of joining that fight have often included a call for a no-fly
buffer zone along its border with Syria. NATO officials have been reluctant
to add the idea of "safe havens" to the situation along the border.

Today, Kurdish fighters who are trying to defend the city of Kobani are
saying they've made advances against ISIS, a claim that was echoed by a
monitoring group. U.N. officials have warned of a potential massacre if the
city falls.

The European Union will send nearly $5 million in emergency humanitarian
aid to groups helping refugees from Kobani.

>From Brussels, Teri Schultz reports for NPR's Newscast unit:

"Expressing 'deep concern' over the situation, the EU says the people of
Kobane have shown the international community they are resolved 'to use all
means to protect their own rights and values and to resist oppression.'"

On Sunday, the head of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said he believes that a
looming battle for Mosul might prove to be a pivotal clash in the fight
against ISIS. It would be a ground conflict, Gen. Martin Dempsey said
<http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/dempsey-us-attack-helicopters-baghdad-26140738>,
and it might require the participation of U.S. advisers.
III.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/horror-of-kobani-headless-corpses-left-in-the-street-and-victims-with-their-eyes-cut-out-the-savagery-of-isis-laid-bare-9791199.html
Horror of Kobani: Headless corpses left in the street and victims with
their eyes 'cut out', the savagery of Isis laid bare
Refugees in Suruc, Turkey, have spoken of the atrocities witnessed in
KobaniJAMES
RUSH  Monday 13 October 201

Survivors of the fighting in Kobani have spoken of the horrors they
witnessed as Isis militants took control of parts of the town from Kurdish
forces.

Refugees in Suruc, Tukey, have told The Daily Mail how relatives and
neighbours were beheaded by the militants, while another spoke of how he
had seen "hundreds" of decapitated corpses in the besieged town.

On Friday, the UN Syria envoy warned the hundreds still trapped in Kobani
will be "massacred" by militants if the town falls, where only a small
corridor remains open for people to flee.

More than 200,000 have already escaped across the border to Turkey but up
to 700 remain inside the town.

The battle for the Syrian town has also sparked major protests in Turkey
against its perceived inaction. Kurdish protesters have repeatedly clashed
with security forces, leaving at least 31 people, including two police
officers, dead.

Amin Fajar, 38, a father-of-four who left Kobani and made it across the
border and into Suruc, told The Daily Mail: "I have seen tens, maybe
hundreds, of bodies with their heads cut off.

"Others with just their hands or legs missing. I have seen faces with their
eyes or tongues cut out - I can never forget it for as long as I live."

Isis militants have laid siege to the town of Kobani for nearly four weeks
and fought their way into it in recent days.

They have reportedly taken control of almost half of the town.

Belal Shahin, another Kobani refugee in Suruc, told MSNBC: "Isis came into
the villages. They beheaded people as well as animals. They took animals
and girls; they left nothing. Even animals don't do what Isis are doing.
They are doing these things and it's not acceptable.

"But the whole world has blocked their ears in order not to hear. And
they've become dumb. There's nothing to stop them."

As night fell on Sunday, the town centre of Kobani was under heavy
artillery and mortar fire, Ocalan Iso, deputy head of the Kobani defence
council, told Reuters.

Heavy clashes were under way in the east and southeast, he said, with
neither side gaining ground.

Idris Nassan, deputy foreign minister in the Kurdish administration for the
Kobani district, said heavy fighting had begun around nightfall in the
streets.

Kurdish fighters had caught attackers in an ambush, he said.

Kurdish refugees fleeing Kobani enter Turkey at Suruc

After days of advances by Isis, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights
monitoring group said Kobani's Kurdish defenders had managed to hold their
ground.

The Observatory said 36 Islamic State fighters, all foreigners, were killed
the previous day, while eight Kurdish fighters had died. The figures could
not be independently verified.

The news comes as a video emerged over the weekend apparently showing
fighting in the streets of Kobani.

*The Independent* has not been able to independently verify the video, but
Isis expert Shiraz Maher, a senior research fellow at the International
Centre for the Study of Radicalisation at King's College London, said it
appeared to have been made for "propaganda purposes, ostensibly
demonstrating the group's strength and prowess."

A Turkish official today said there was no new agreement with the United
States on using an air base in southern Turkey for operations against the
Islamic State group.

Turkey and the US are still talking about the Incirlik air base as well as
Turkish demands for the creation of a no-fly zone and a safe haven for
refugees, the government official told the Associated Press.

On Sunday, United States defence officials said Turkey would let US and
coalition forces use its bases against Islamic State militants.

*Additional reporting by Reuters and Associated Press*

-- 
Peace Is Doable

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Green Youth Movement" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send an email to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/greenyouth.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to