I/III.
http://rt.com/news/242857-eu-peacekeepers-ukraine-lavrov/

'There are no madmen in EU' to send peacekeepers to Ukraine - Lavrov
Published time: March 21, 2015 10:22

The EU would not send a peacekeeping force to Ukraine unless the
rebels endorse such a mission, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov
said, commenting on Kiev's request for a foreign 'police force.'

"I believe there are no madmen in the EU. [Previously the EU deployed
peacekeepers] only in situations in which, as in the Balkans, all
sides of a conflict agreed to it. The EU would never go to any region
- be it southeastern Ukraine or anywhere else - unless the conflicting
sides agree to such a mission," Lavrov said in an interview to Rossiya
1 channel's Sergey Brilev on Saturday.

Russia's foreign minister added that Kiev should talk to the
self-proclaimed Lugansk and Donetsk People's Republic rather than
Moscow to secure their backing for peacekeepers and not ignore them as
it is doing at the moment.

Read more
'Stick to Minsk deal': Russia slams Ukraine idea for EU peacekeepers
Moscow has previously criticized Kiev's unilateral invitation of a
police force under the EU aegis for a peacekeeping mission in war-torn
eastern Ukraine, saying the move undermined the Minsk ceasefire
agreement because it wasn't agreed by the rebel forces.

On Monday, President Petro Poroshenko submitted a draft address to the
UN Security Council seeking the deployment of an international mission
to Ukraine, with the document already having been approved by the
Ukrainian Security Council.

Warmongers act against peace deal
Moscow believes that by trying to have foreign troops deployed in the
country, Ukraine is acting against the Minsk-2 deal agreed in
February.

"I believe it's a distraction... Poroshenko is pressured by those who
don't want any peaceful settlement, which would also whitewash their
guilt in the conflict," Lavrov suggested. "After the Ukrainian
parliament adopted legislation on local elections that directly
contradicts the terms of the Minsk agreement, they came up with this
new trick, the peacekeepers initiative. It all sounds noble and fine,
but those familiar with the situation see it for what it actually is."


Proponents of a military solution can be found both in Kiev and
Washington, Lavrov said. The two capitals practically speak in one
voice when it comes to the Minsk agreement.

"As far as we know, the Americans give lip service to the Minsk
agreement... but put much effort into interpreting the agreed documents
and their position is then voiced verbatim by Kiev," he said.

"[US] Vice President Joe Biden called Ukrainian President Poroshenko
to congratulate him on the signing the documents [on local elections],
which Donetsk and Lugansk took as putting an end to the February 12
agreement," Lavrov added. "Biden also confirmed in the same phone
conversation that the US is sending equipment and instructors to train
the [Ukrainian] National Guard."

More pressure on Kiev needed
The top Russian diplomat confirmed that Moscow has called on Germany
and France, which co-sponsored the Minsk agreement, to take action
regarding Kiev's non-compliance with the peace deal.

"We call for self-evident things: for action to be taken to make the
Ukrainian authorities carry out obligations that have been backed by
Petro Poroshenko as the president of Ukraine," Lavrov said.

Read more
'Glaring breach': Minsk 'violation' sees Russia urge France, Germany
to act on Ukraine
In his interview, the foreign minister also gave a reminder that the
EU has recently acknowledged the Ukrainian crisis is a European
problem, and no "overseas" interests should be involved in its
settlement.

In his speech to the European Council on Thursday, the president of
the European Parliament, Martin Schulz, said the EU "has worked
towards a peaceful solution of this conflict in our immediate
neighborhood," and called a political resolution to the crisis "the
only viable solution."

"The [whole] Minsk process is based on a philosophy, recently voiced
by the European parliament head Martin Schulz, who said that the
crisis in Ukraine is not a Russian-American problem, but a European
one, and should be treated that way... the EU wants to deal with
problems at its borders in keeping with its own interests, rather than
someone's across the ocean," Lavrov said.

UN peacekeeping soldiers patrolling part of the border between
Macedonia and Yugoslavia on August 20, 1993 (Reuters)UN peacekeeping
soldiers patrolling part of the border between Macedonia and
Yugoslavia on August 20, 1993 (Reuters)

The Russian minister added that Kiev's foreign backers must put more
pressure on the Ukrainian government to stick to the peace deal

"I feel sad that tantrums and Kiev's unwillingness to compromise is
just blocking the implementation of the agreement, which we all saw as
good and implementable," he said.

"The problem is that Americans and to a lesser degree Europeans feel
uncomfortable when they have to criticize Kiev. They avoid it whenever
they can. They endorsed the new Ukrainian government, turned a blind
eye to many of their actions, but it didn't help."

OSCE mission improving, Russia offers assistance
Lavrov also blamed Kiev for trying to sideline the mission of the
Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE), which has
been tasked with monitoring the implementation of the Minsk ceasefire,
by falsely claiming that it is not up to its task.

"The mission has significantly improved the quality of its reports,
they've become more regular. We insist that the reports were delivered
on daily basis and they were distributed straight away to all OSCE
member countries, rather than being sent to Vienna to be edited and
'dressed'," Lavrov said.

The OSCE mission's initial 500 staff positions are almost filled, and
Russia successfully advocated for the ceiling to be doubled, Lavrov
said. The OSCE already has high-tech equipment necessary for the task,
including drones provided by Austria.

Moscow is also ready to provide more technical assistance to the
mission, including more drones and armored vehicles, although this
would probably require settling formalities to have military personnel
like drone operators attached to the civilian OSCE mission, he added.

The minister went on to say that apparently Kiev is not happy with
OSCE reporting because it shows the Ukrainian military in an
unfavorable light.

"The facts reported to OSCE members bear out that roughly 80 percent
of incidents, such as failures to pull back troops or give observers
access to areas they want to visit, are due to the actions of the
Ukrainian military," Lavrov said.

II/III.
http://news.yahoo.com/ukraine-russians-arms-against-putin-093925823.html

In Ukraine, some Russians take up arms against Putin
AFP By Maria Antonova
2 hours ago

Odessa (Ukraine) (AFP) - When Andrei Krasilnikov hugged his wife
good-bye last week and climbed onto a bus to take him back to the
frontline in eastern Ukraine, his motive was typical of those fighting
for Kiev -- to defend his family and future from what he perceives as
Russian aggression.

What sets him apart from his brothers-in-arms is his Russian citizenship.

Krasilnikov, 48, is one of several Russians fighting as a volunteer
against the pro-Moscow insurgency in the Donetsk and Lugansk regions.
Like many Ukrainians he views the conflict as "a war by Russia against
Ukraine" rather than a home-grown uprising.

"The thing is, we are not fighting against Russians but against
(President Vladimir) Putin's army," he said. "Not everyone in Russia
supports Putin and his regime... a regime that is militarised, a
police regime that can do whatever it wants with its own people."

Though he has lived in Ukraine's southern Russian-speaking city of
Odessa for a decade and has a Ukrainian wife and son, the Moscow-born
Krasilnikov still holds a Russian passport.

His friends in the pro-Kiev Aydar battalion view that "completely
normally," he said, recounting taking heavy artillery fire with them
in the Lugansk region in February, shortly before the latest ceasefire
came into effect.

View galleryFighters of the Aydar, a Ukrainian volunteer
battalion, …
Fighters of the Aydar, a Ukrainian volunteer battalion, hang images of
killed comrades and friends o ...
"They shook my hand and said that I was a true Russian who understands
everything."

Back in the land of his birth, however, he had to break off ties with
friends who started calling him a "fascist" after he took part in
protests last year that ousted the Kremlin-backed leader Viktor
Yanukovych.

"They got it in their heads that Ukraine has a fascist regime and a
junta," Krasilnikov said, using the terms employed by Russian state
media to describe the country's new pro-Western government.

- Fear of deportation -

Despite risking his life for Ukraine, the irony for Krasilnikov and
other Russians opposing Putin here is that they still face suspicion
from Kiev even though going back home may mean time in a Russian jail.

View galleryUkrainian special troops stand guard in the southern …
Ukrainian special troops stand guard in the southern city of Odessa
during an anti-terrorists operat ...
Krasilnikov has had an application to renew his residency permit
rejected by suspicious authorities and he says one reason for staying
at the frontline is that immigration officials won't go looking for
him there.

"I cannot go outside Ukraine to Russia because I am more than sure
that I will get arrested there," he said in an interview in Odessa a
few hours before heading to the front.

The sense of limbo was echoed by other Russians interviewed by AFP.

Despite opposing Putin, they said that they are often likely to be
stonewalled by authorities in Ukraine, especially low-level officials
who are often pro-Moscow.

Pyotr Lyubchenkov, an opposition activist from Russia's Krasnodar, had
his request for political asylum last year denied in Odessa.

View galleryMen push a cart over the destroyed Putilovka bridge …
Men push a cart over the destroyed Putilovka bridge near Donetsk
airport on March 21, 2015. (AFP Pho ...
The file that the immigration services had on him "even used
descriptions from pro-Kremlin websites," he told AFP.

Lyubchenkov, a 40-year-old psychologist, opposed the annexation of
Crimea last year and is wanted in Russia after trying to organise an
opposition rally. He is the subject of a probe that has already seen
two people arrested. "I hope I don't get deported," he said.

"It was a simple idea, coming here," Lyubchenkov said, describing how
he had expected his support for Kiev's pro-Western ideas would meet a
sympathetic ear.

He joined up with pro-Western protesters in Odessa and helps the local
group opposing separatist activity in the Russian-speaking city. These
days he is even putting together free Ukrainian language lessons in a
local library.

But despite his expectations, "the reality turned out very different,"
he lamented: even Russians who support Ukraine's cause -- in battle or
not -- are sidelined by its rank and file bureaucracy.

- 'I fight for my land' -

One of the few exceptions is Ilya Bogdanov, a far-right Russian
nationalist who has been fighting in pro-Kiev battalions since last
summer.

"I am fighting against Putin's regime, for a free, white Ukraine that
is pro-European," he said by phone from the village of Pisky near the
Donetsk airport -- one area which continues to take fire despite the
month-old truce.

The fighter in the extreme Ukrainian nationalist Right Sector group
chronicles the conflict on his Facebook page and regularly gets into
arguments with Russians fighting on the opposite side on social media.

"It's a lot of Russians, practically only Russians" fighting on the
separatist side, he said, having made a complete break from his past
in Russia's far-eastern city of Vladivostok, including his pro-Putin
mother.

A month ago, he received Ukrainian citizenship -- after a lengthy
process that was resolved only through the personal intervention of
Ukraine's top leadership. "It was extremely difficult, at every level
they tried to block it," he said.

"I am citizen of Ukraine now, I fight for my land," he says with a
laugh. "Everything I have is right here."

III.
http://news.yahoo.com/artillery-fire-breaks-east-ukraine-084558661.html

Artillery rocks Ukraine rebel bastion Donetsk despite truce
AFP By Béatrice Le Bohec
12 hours ago

Donetsk (Ukraine) (AFP) - Artillery fire rocked the outskirts of the
rebel-held east Ukraine city of Donetsk on Sunday in the latest
clashes to rattle an internationally-brokered ceasefire between
pro-Russian separatists and Kiev.

The sound of intensive explosions erupted at 9:00 am (0600 GMT) and
appeared to come from the area around Donetsk airport, one of several
flashpoints where shelling has rumbled on despite the February truce
deal that has eased fighting around much of eastern Ukraine.

The Ukranian army said rebels located near the airport had used small
arms, 82mm mortar shells and rocket-propelled grenades against
government troops overnight.

It said there had been three injuries in its ranks but no deaths.

In the separatist stronghold of Lugansk, the army also came under fire
from small arms and heavier 120mm mortar shells, according to an
official statement.

The overall rate of fighting has declined sharply since the peace
deal, which obliges both sides to stop shooting and withdraw heavy
weapons, was hammered out by the leaders of France, Germany, Russia
and Ukraine.

View galleryA man fixes a wooden cross in memory of fallen
pro-Russian …
A man fixes a wooden cross in memory of fallen pro-Russian separatist
soldiers near Donetsk airport  ...
However, sporadic clashes with small arms and shells have continued on
a near daily basis at hotspots including the airport and around the
key government-held port city of Mariupol.

According to the army, militants fired 120mm mortar shells overnight
at the village of Shyrokyne, around 20 kilometres (12 miles) east of
Mariupol.

Many fear that the steel-making hub -- the largest major city held by
the government in the conflict zone -- could become the focus of a new
offensive, opening up a corridor between rebel-held territory and
Russian-annexed Crimea.

- 'All its force' -

There were also nine sightings of rebel drones over the last 24 hours,
Ukrainian military spokesman Andriy Lysenko told reporters Sunday.

View galleryMen push a cart over the destroyed Putilovka bridge …
Men push a cart over the destroyed Putilovka bridge near Donetsk
airport on March 21, 2015. (AFP Pho ...
He also accused separatists of twice using artillery prohibited by the
peace deal near the village of Avdiivka, north of Donetsk.

Under the terms of the ceasefire, the two sides agreed to pull back
their heavy arms to create a buffer zone of between 50 kilometres and
140 kilometres (31 miles and 87 miles), depending on the range of the
weaponry.

The warring parties both claim to have withdrawn their big guns but
the Ukrainian military on Friday accused separatists near Shyrokyne of
using the heavy Grad multiple rocket system for "the first time in a
month".

The supposed drawback is being monitored by the OSCE, but the
international observer mission on Thursday said it had been unable to
verify a credible withdrawal "because of a lack of cooperation on both
sides".

Moscow on Saturday claimed that Kiev might be "bluffing" over it
weapons withdrawal.

View galleryA damaged building sits boarded up in an area held …
A damaged building sits boarded up in an area held by soldiers of the
self-proclaimed Donetsk People ...
Ukraine President Petro Poroshenko, however, insisted late Saturday
that Kiev was adhering to the peace deal.

"Ukraine strictly and consistently implements these steps," he told
Ukraine channel Inter TV.

"Firstly, we ceased fire, secondly, we withdrew heavy equipment and
artillery, thirdly, we ensured active work of OSCE monitors, who are
able to check the implementation of these agreements".

However, Poroshenko warned he would respond with force in the event of
any new large-scale attack.

"We are not daydreamers and we are doing everything so that if, God
forbid, there is an offensive against Ukraine, we can repel the enemy
with all our force and defeat it."

-- 
Peace Is Doable

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Green Youth Movement" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send an email to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/greenyouth.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to