Last month, I went for a shoot in Coorg with Kritika and Gautam of TISS.
Among the Adivasi leaders we interviewed, we also went to meet Muthappa, my
old friend who is an Adivasi leader. After this interview, we went to the
forests nearby where there was a beautiful waterfall. All of us received
bites from leaches, which is a very usual affair in a rain forest. When we
reached back at Muthappa’s house, I found a leach sucking my blood under my
right foot. They say it is good for your blood since the leach is supposed
to be sucking your bad blood. But I was not very comfortable with the idea
of somebody sucking my blood. Gautam was kind enough to try to remove this
small time Dracula from my foot. I think a small portion of it was left
behind. I started getting a boil after that. It was not painful. But during
the last one week it became painful. It was difficult for me to walk for a
few days. And in my sleep, I had a dream (Not the Martin Luther King type).
I could see an ugly and horrible insect trying to crawl out of my foot.
Then he started running all around me. While he was running around he was
becoming bigger and bigger. After that this monster started staring at me
and charged at me to attack. I thought it was better to wake up. Luckily,
just before the monster attacked me, I woke up. Otherwise, I would not have
been able to tell you this story. Now, I really understand why activists
for ages have been singing songs with two words: `Wake Up!’
K.P. Sasi