'You are a real man': Watch this Indian editor's awkward interview
with Donald Trump

There's also a cameo by 'Mr Trump's India man.'

7 hours ago
Updated 7 hours ago
Scroll Staff

Donald Trump seems to inspire weird reactions and awkwardness just
about everywhere he goes. Saturday's rally for the American
presidential candidate in New Jersey, organised by the Republican
Hindu Coalition, lived up to this promise, mixing Prabhu Deva and
Anupam Kher with dancing light-saber wielding terrorists. And then
Trump said, "I love Hindu."

But that wasn't it for the Donald Trump's desi outreach. He also gave
interviews to Indian new organisations, including one to Saurabh
Shukla, editor-in-chief of Newsmobile, who was reporting on the event
on behalf of TimesNow.

Shukla first tried to get Trump to say something about Pakistan – only
managing to get a "they need to get along" quote from the otherwise
pugilistic candidate. He then awkwardly brought up the recent
allegations about sexual impropriety and even assault against Trump,
which emerged in the aftermath of leaked audio tapes where the
candidate discussed sexual assault.

The journalist certainly brought up the allegations but prefaced his
question by saying Trump is a "real man." Twice.

Here's the transcript, where Trump says he thinks things are moving
along "very nicely" after the allegations:

Q: Your rivals are trying to spin a lot of theories around you, and
you are a real man, would you make sure as a real man, would you
apologise to a lot of women who have gotten outraged by what may have
happened earlier?

A: Well, I have discussed that, and I think that's very much, you know
we are doing very well in the polls. We are leading in many of the
polls. One just came out where we are two points up. So I think that's
moving on very well.

Q: But saying sorry doesn't really...

A: But I have really talked about that and it was locker room talk.
Lots of people do it but I have already talked about that and I think
we are moving along very nicely.

The interview also featured a cameo from Shalabh Kumar, the founding
chairperson of the Republican Hindu Coalition, whom Shukla described
as "Trump's India man." (Trump, himself, only said, "well he's
certainly a supporter.")

In an interview before the New Jersey rally, Shukla spoke separately
with Kumar, who also preferred to replace "elephant in the room" with
a more dog-whistle phrase.

Q: What do you expect from this rally?

A: "It will be the first time you have the candidate for the president
of the United States, first time in the history of the United States,
India, Hindu world itself, Hindu civilisation, coming to address the
concerns, coming to address the Hindu Americans, Indian-Americans,
three weeks prior to the election. That is a history in itself."

Q: Why do Indian-Americans vote for Mr Trump?"

A: The policies. All conservative values. Hindu-Americans,
conservative Americans have. Free enterprise, fiscal discipline,
family values, and then really firm foreign policy, all those things
are in line with Donald Trump, and he could see the camel in the room.

Q: Do you think he is going to very tough on terrorism from Pakistan?

A: That is the camel in the room.

Peace Is Doable

"Green Youth Movement" group.
To post to this group, send an email to