http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-38329461

Aleppo Syria battle: Evacuation of rebel-held east
7 minutes ago
 From the section Middle East Related Topics

First buses leave eastern Aleppo under the protection of the
International Red Cross

Nearly 1,000 civilians and 26 wounded people have been evacuated in
buses and ambulances from a besieged rebel-held enclave in the Syrian
city of Aleppo.
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) says it expects
this number to double by the end of the day.
Government forces, backed by Russian allies, took nearly all remaining
rebel-held parts of Aleppo this week after a four-year battle.
It represents a major victory for President Bashar al-Assad.
He hailed the "liberation" of Aleppo and said history was being made.
Latest reports from Aleppo
Global solidarity over Aleppo
How Srebrenica's survivors view Aleppo
What's happening in Aleppo?
What happens next?
The evacuation of civilians, rebels and their families had been due to
take place on Wednesday but an earlier ceasefire deal collapsed.
It is unclear how many rebels are being evacuated along with
civilians. The evacuees are being transferred to rebel-held areas in
neighbouring Idlib province.
Syrians, who were evacuated from rebel-held neighbourhoods in the
embattled city of Aleppo, arrive in the opposition-controlled Khan
al-Aassal region, west of the city, on December 15, 2016Image
copyrightAFP
"This for us is the first step, it was a positive one," Robert
Mardini, ICRC regional director for the Near and Middle East, told
Reuters news agency in Geneva.
"We were able so far to evacuate 26 wounded persons from east Aleppo
and close to 1,000 civilians, who were transferred from east Aleppo to
western rural Aleppo."
"Many more" rotations of buses and ambulances would be needed in the
coming days, he added.
A wounded Syrian, who was evacuated from rebel-held neighbourhoods in
the embattled city of Aleppo, is carried by aid workers upon his
arrival in the opposition-controlled Khan al-Aassal region, west of
the city, on December 15, 2016Image copyrightAFP
Syrian state TV had earlier said that "4,000 rebels and their families
would be evacuated from eastern districts on Thursday", adding that
"all the procedures for their evacuation" were ready.
A statement from the Russian Centre for the Reconciliation of Opposing
Sides in Syria, part of Russia's ministry of defence, said the Syrian
authorities had guaranteed the safety of all members of the armed
groups who decided to leave Aleppo.
Hezbollah, the Lebanese Shia Muslim movement backing the Syrian
government, said there had been "big complications" but that
"intensive contacts... led to re-consolidating a ceasefire to exit
armed fighters from eastern districts".
The rebels confirmed a fresh ceasefire had come into effect at 03:00
GMT and that a new deal had been agreed.

As operations began, an ambulance service official in eastern Aleppo
said that one convoy of ambulances had been shot at, with three people
injured.
The White Helmets civil defence group tweeted that one senior
volunteer had been shot and injured by a sniper while clearing an
evacuation route for ambulances.
Where are the evacuees being taken?
Buses and ambulances are taking the injured, civilians and rebel
fighters to the neighbouring province of Idlib, most of which is
controlled by a powerful rebel alliance that includes the jihadist
group Jabhat Fateh al-Sham.
The buses left Aleppo via the road through the government-controlled
south-western district of Ramousseh, heading towards the nearby
rebel-held towns of Khan Touman and Khan al-Asal.
Buses in Aleppo, 15 DecImage copyrightAFP
Image caption
Up to 50,000 people are said to still be in eastern Aleppo
The chief of the Russian military's General Staff, Gen Valery
Gerasimov, told a news briefing: "A humanitarian corridor has been
created for the evacuation of militants."
"This corridor is 21km long," he said, adding, "6km lie across
Aleppo's territories controlled by government troops and another 15km
through territories in the hands of illegal armed groups."
Twenty passenger buses and 10 ambulances were being used for the
operation, the general said. Some rebels were using their own
vehicles, numbering 100, he said.
Elizabeth Hoff, of the World Health Organization, said the operation
was "going smoothly".
Map
How many remain in eastern Aleppo?
The figures vary wildly. Generally it's believed up to 50,000 people
remained ahead of the evacuation.
That is said to include about 4,000 fighters and about 10,000 family
members of fighters.

Media captionMilad al-Shehabi, filmmaker in Aleppo tells BBC
Newsnight: "This could be my last message"
However, one Turkish government minister said up to 100,000 people
might have to be evacuated.
Aleppo's besieged residents have faced weeks of bombardment and
chronic food and fuel shortages.
Medical facilities in the city have largely been reduced to rubble, as
rebels have been squeezed into ever-smaller areas by a major
government offensive, backed by Russian air power.
Russian Lt Gen Viktor Poznikhir said on Thursday that, with the
evacuation, the Syrian armed forces had almost finished their
operations in Aleppo.
Why did the earlier deal fail?
Syria's government and its ally Iran had insisted the evacuation from
eastern Aleppo could happen only with the simultaneous evacuation of
two villages - Foah and Kefraya - being besieged by rebels in
north-western Syria.
Trapped in Aleppo - in pictures
'The most beautiful city in the world'
What happened to those who said last goodbyes?
Hours after the first agreement - brokered mainly by Russia and Turkey
- collapsed, air strikes resumed.
What will the government do next?
In October, President Assad said victory in Aleppo would be "the
springboard... to liberate other areas from terrorists", a term the
government uses to describe all rebel fighters.
He singled out Idlib province, west of Aleppo, that is almost entirely
controlled by an alliance of Islamist rebel factions and Jabhat Fateh
al-Sham, formerly known as al-Nusra Front.
Idlib contains border crossings used by rebels to receive supplies
from Turkey, a key backer. It also borders the coastal province of
Latakia, the heartland of Mr Assad's minority Alawite sect.

Media captionAerial footages shows scores of buses in eastern Aleppo,
part of the evacuation operation

-- 
Peace Is Doable

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Green Youth Movement" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send an email to [email protected].
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/greenyouth.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to