[He’s a culmination of many dangerous trends in the culture,
especially the triumph of the idea that a successful corporation is
first and foremost selling an idea of itself and a sense of belonging
and identity to its customers. In the late ’80s, you saw brands start
to sell the idea, the sense of belonging, first. That primacy of the
brand does a lot to explain Trump, and how he has developed this
intimate relationship with his base, why they expect so little of him
and why he gets away with what he gets away with, because the rules of
branding are really simple: Be true to your brand. The problem with
Donald Trump is that he went and designed a brand that is entirely
amoral.]

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/14/magazine/naomi-klein-is-sick-of-benevolent-billionaires.html?_r=0

Magazine
Naomi Klein Is Sick of Benevolent Billionaires

Interview by ANA MARIE COX JUNE 14, 2017

Naomi Klein. Credit Sandy Nicholson for The New York Times

*Your book “No Is Not Enough” frames Donald Trump’s impunity as a type
of branding. How does that help explain him?*
He’s a culmination of many dangerous trends in the culture, especially
the triumph of the idea that a successful corporation is first and
foremost selling an idea of itself and a sense of belonging and
identity to its customers. In the late ’80s, you saw brands start to
sell the idea, the sense of belonging, first. That primacy of the
brand does a lot to explain Trump, and how he has developed this
intimate relationship with his base, why they expect so little of him
and why he gets away with what he gets away with, because the rules of
branding are really simple: Be true to your brand. The problem with
Donald Trump is that he went and designed a brand that is entirely
amoral.

*Is he actually true to his brand?*
His brand is wealth and power, which is why he’s driven so mad by
things like “President Bannon” and people disputing his wealth.
Because if that’s the case — if he’s not as rich and powerful as he
claims he is — that really does damage his brand. It is a tremendous
weakness of Trump’s that he believes his own P.R. And it’s a central
part of his brand that he is the guy who gets the deal, and it has
been ever since his real first brand extension, “The Art of the Deal”
— a book not written by him.

Naomi Klein is the author of several books, including “No Is Not
Enough: Resisting Trump’s Shock Politics and Winning the World We
Need.”

Age: 47

Occupation: Author and social activist

Hometown: Toronto

Her Top 5 Boycotts:
1. Nestlé baby formula
2. California grapes
3. Apartheid South Africa
4. Sweatshop apparel
5. Fossil-fuel investments

*One criticism I had of your dissection of his brand was that you talk
about him as if he’s a triumph of capitalism, even though he’s not —
he inherited his wealth.*
I would argue that that’s the kind of capitalism we have now. I think
there has always been a huge gap between what theories of capitalism
say it is and how capitalism operates out in the world.

*You argue that Democrats have to share the blame for Trump’s rise,
partially in promoting the idea that the solution to vast inequality
is to have nicer rich people, or philanthro-capitalism.*
Well, Trump’s pitch to voters was: “I’m rich. Sure, I have absolutely
no experience in government, but the fact of my wealth is all the
evidence you need that you can trust me to fix everything.” It’s an
absurd pitch, but I don’t know how far away it is from why Americans
have trusted Bill Gates to remake the American school system or
Africa’s agriculture system. I don’t think there could’ve been a pitch
as crass as Trump’s “I can fix America because I’m rich” without that
groundwork laid by Davos and the Clinton Global Initiative.

*There’s a quote in your book that the Trump phenomenon is an uncouth,
vulgar echo of the dangerous idea that billionaires can solve our
problems.*
I wonder if, also in Trump, we see a more uncouth and vulgar echo of
another idea that the Democrats brought us: benevolent nepotism. Look
at the structure of the Gates Foundation and this idea that, rather
than trying to solve these huge global problems through institutions
with some kind of democracy and transparency baked into them, we’re
just going to outsource it to benevolent billionaires. Look at how the
Gates Foundation allocates its money, and how it’s structured: it’s
Bill Gates, his father and his wife and Warren Buffett — that has been
interrogated a whole lot less than this current outsourcing of the
world to Jared and Ivanka.

*You wrote the book very quickly, so that it would be contemporaneous.
What has happened since you sent it to the publisher that you wish you
could have put into the book?*
The reason I rushed the book is that I’m really worried about how
Trump would exploit a major shock in the United States, like what
recently happened in London. Right now, what we are seeing is Trump
shocking the public every day with his outrageousness or his blunders;
it’s kind of like a rolling shock doctrine. We’re all clicking on the
Trump show, and meanwhile they’re methodically transferring wealth
from the lower and middle to the upper, upper echelons of the income
ladder. And that is less sexy than Melania slapping his hand away,
which isn’t in the book.

Interview has been condensed and edited.

--
Peace Is Doable