[In the earlier case, 12 people got charred to death.
Migrant labourers.

In the latter, 14 deaths.]

http://indianexpress.com/article/cities/mumbai/kamala-mills-fire-another-fire-in-city-10-days-23-km-a-little-apart-saki-naka-5005529/

Kamala Mills fire: Another fire in Mumbai, 10 days, 23 km, a little apart
Over 10 days earlier, on December 18, a fire no less deadly had swept
through Bhanu Farsan Shop, a savouries unit on Saki Naka’s Khairani Road,
about 23 km from Kamala Mills. Twelve workers had died in the fire.

Written by Tabassum Barnagarwala

Mumbai | Published: December 31, 2017 5:55 am

(Express Photo by Nirmal Harindran)

A little over three hours after the early Friday morning fire at 1Above
resto-bar and the adjoining Mojo’s Bistro, Mumbai Municipal Commissioner
Ajoy Mehta was at the site, taking stock of the situation. The following
afternoon, Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis examined the premises and hours
later, Mehta ordered the suspension of five civic officials and the
transfer of one. The Mumbai Police registered a case of culpable homicide
on Friday and has filed four FIRs so far.

Over 10 days earlier, on December 18, a fire no less deadly had swept
through Bhanu Farsan Shop, a savouries unit on Saki Naka’s Khairani Road,
about 23 km from Kamala Mills. Twelve workers had died in the fire.

Mehta had on the day of the Saki Naka fire directed a Deputy Municipal
Commissioner (DMC) to conduct a probe and submit a detailed report within
the next 15 days. The probe seeks to establish the cause of the fire; fix
responsibility on the allegedly illegal construction of a mezzanine
floor/loft; and check whether all requisite licences were issued. The
report is expected next week.

Two days after the Saki Naka fire, Mehta had also directed the setting up
of a ‘fire safety compliance cell’ in all 34 fire stations of the city to
ensure such mishaps are prevented. These cells are meant to regularly
coordinate with ward officials on inspections of establishments, both
commercial and residential.

CCTV Footage Shows Security Guards Evacuating Kamala Mills Building After
Blaze

In the aftermath of that fire, the dusty by-lanes, workshops and small
manufacturing units of Saki Naka witnessed a series of inspections by
officials of the departments of fire, public-works, building and
construction department, and officials of L-ward (Kurla, Saki Naka,
Chandivali), where the shop is located. There have, however, been no
suspension of civic officials.

MLA Nazeem Khan and a few local corporators visited the spot on Khairani
Road. At Rajawadi Hospital, where the deceased and the injured were rushed,
corporator Neil Somaiya met families. MP Kirit Somaiya later tweeted that
he had requested the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) to conduct a
special drive to check for fire compliance in farsan shops. In a tweet,
Mumbai Congress chief Sanjay Nirupam questioned why no action was taken
against civic officials.

When asked why had been no suspensions after the Saki Naka fire, a senior
BMC official from L-ward said, “The scale of violations is different in
both (1Above and Bhanu Farsan Shop) fire mishaps. We never received any
complaint against Bhanu Farsan. In the Kamala Mills case, there were
complaints of irregularities against various establishments, and there has
been negligence by a few civic officials.”

In the case of the Kamla Mills fire, the BMC sent out over 50 teams of
civic inspectors to demolish ‘illegal’ restaurant extensions in the city
and the suburbs – by Saturday evening, 314 demolitions had taken place,
with Mehta monitoring the drive on a real-time basis. In Saki Naka, there
were no demolitions immediately after the incident.

Ajit Kumar Ambi, assistant commissioner (L-ward), told The Sunday Express
that after the Saki Naka fire, 92 gas cylinders were seized from hotels and
establishments, 90 inspection report notices filed and a lodging and hookah
parlour booked for violation of fire norms. Ambi said their aim was to
inspect 60,000 establishments. Shop owner Ramesh Bhanushali was arrested
and booked for culpable homicide, among other charges.

While BMC teams have begun cracking down on illegal restaurants and bars in
the city a day ahead of New Year’s eve, the eateries at Saki Naka, from
which the BMC confiscated cylinders after asking them to obtain the fire
department’s no objection certificate (NOC), are now buying new cylinders
to keep their businesses afloat.

Praful Kadam, supervisor at Gurukripa Snacks Corner, a restaurant in Saki
Naka whose gas cylinder was taken away by BMC two days after the fire
mishap, said BMC asked them to get the fire department’s NOC, but “we
bought another cylinder few days ago. NOC will take several days”.

“Mumbai is a city of tragedies. People slowly forget such incidents,
especially if a poor man dies,” said Afzal Khan, who owns a water
purification plant adjacent to Bhanu Farsan, the shop in Saki Naka that
caught fire due to a suspected short circuit.

Thursday’s Kamala Mills blaze has forced civic officials in L-ward, like in
all 24 wards of Mumbai, to take to the field. On Saturday, officials took
action against five hotels in the ward. The upper floors of Peninsula
Hotel, Oozo Bar and Diner, and Hotel Choice Lee were sealed. Inflammable
material was seized from the hotels and water connection was snapped in
Choice Lee hotel.

Meanwhile, the 10 labourers who survived the blaze in Bhanu Farsan struggle
to deal with the tragedy – the loss of their loved ones, coupled with the
lack of work.

Arjun Gupta’s brother Ram Naresh worked in Bhanu Farsan and died in the
blaze. Arjun himself worked in another such farsan unit, but lost his job
when the shop shut down following the BMC crackdown. He has been living
with his relatives in Bhiwandi until he finds a new job. “We can’t leave
the city. Otherwise our pending salaries will never be given. After my
brother died in the workshop, we were not even given money to transport his
body back home to Uttar Pradesh,” said Arjun.

Shahabuddin Khan, whose nephew Noor Mohammed died in the blaze, said,
“These were all poor men and their families have not received any
compensation.”



-- 
Peace Is Doable

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Green Youth Movement" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send an email to [email protected].
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/greenyouth.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to