[《"We have extended the deadline in the past and we will extend the
deadline again but we may do it by the end of month to enable the
petitioners in the case conclude the arguments," Venugopal said.
The bench said, "It is a very valid point raised by the Attorney General
and the court would not allow repetitive arguments made by the petitioners'
counsel in the matter."》]

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/march-31-deadline-for-aadhaar-linkage-may-be-extended-govt-to-supreme-court/articleshow/63190565.cms

March 31 deadline for Aadhaar linkage may be extended: Govt to Supreme Court

PTI | Updated: Mar 7, 2018, 09:11 IST

HIGHLIGHTS
The Centre said that since some more time needed to conclude the prolonged
hearing in Aadhaar case, the government may extend the deadline from March
31.
On Dec 15 last year, the SC had extended till March 31 the deadline for
mandatory linking of Aadhaar with various services and welfare schemes.
March 31 deadline for Aadhaar linkage may be extended: Govt to Supreme Court

NEW DELHI: The deadline for mandatory linking of Aadhaar to avail various
services and welfare schemes run by the government may be further extended
beyond March 31, the Centre indicated in the Supreme Court on Tuesday.

The Centre said that since some more time would be needed to conclude the
prolonged hearing in the Aadhaar case, the government may extend the
deadline from March 31.
A five-judge Constitution bench comprising Chief Justice Dipak Misra and
Justices A K Sikri, A M Khanwilkar, D Y Chandrachud and Ashok Bhushan
agreed with the contention of Attorney General K K Venugopal.

"We have extended the deadline in the past and we will extend the deadline
again but we may do it by the end of month to enable the petitioners in the
case conclude the arguments," Venugopal said.

The bench said, "It is a very valid point raised by the Attorney General
and the court would not allow repetitive arguments made by the petitioners'
counsel in the matter."
On December 15 last year, the apex court had extended till March 31 the
deadline for mandatory linking of Aadhaar with various services and welfare
schemes.

Earlier senior advocate Shyam Divan, who had led the arguments challenging
Aadhaar and its enabling Act, said that the deadline of March 31 be
extended as it was highly unlikely that the hearing in the case challenging
the constitutional validity of the Aadhaar Act will be concluded.

"The deadline for mandatory linking of Aadhaar with various services and
welfare schemes is March 31. This will have all India ramification as
various institutions would have to adjust themselves accordingly," Divan
said.

Justice Chandrachud said even if the court reserved its verdict on March
20, the banks and other institution would have only 10 days left, which
might be difficult.

The bench then called the Attorney General for assistance in the issue.

At the fag end of today's hearing, Venugopal appeared before the bench and
made the statement about the possibility of extension of the deadline.

Senior advocate Arvind Datar, who argued against the Aadhaar scheme, said
it violated the fundamental rights of citizens.

The hearing would continue on Wednesday.

Earlier on February 22, former Karnataka high court judge Justice K S
Puttaswamy had told the apex court that several deaths had reportedly taken
place due to starvation on account of glitches in the Aadhaar-based public
distribution system and the court must consider granting them compensation.

He had urged the bench to consider granting compensation to those who had
suffered on the ground of exclusion due to Aadhaar, particularly the kin of
the starvation death victims.

TOP COMMENT
Adhar should be linked to voter IDs and subsidies.
Why linking it with cellphone bill and banks?
To sell our personal info?
Asharaf Syedali

Earlier, the top court had observed that the alleged defect of citizens'
biometric details under the Aadhaar scheme being collected without any law
could be cured by subsequently bringing a statute.

It had said that the Centre came out with the law in 2016 to negate the
objection that it was collecting data since 2009 without any authorization,
but the issue which needed consideration was what would happen if the data
collected earlier, had been compromised.
--
Peace Is Doable