Those who pretend themselves to be against fascism, whether they come from
the left parties or non party left forces, or those who have anti-fascist
pretensions within Congress or the non Congress liberal forces must
recognise at least now that Abdul Nasar Maudany is a victim of fascist
forces in this country. He is also a prisoner of conscience. He deserves
his basic human rights at the earliest. All human rights groups need to
wake up on this basic demand. We can not just keep on watching a spiritual
leader who has spoken for the human rights of not just minorities, but also
for the Dalits, Adivasis and many issues like Koodankulam, POSCO and many
other issues of the marginalised. His compassion to human beings
irrespective of caste, creed or religion can not considered as an advantage
of the system. In fact, it is our own disadvantage. He should not be
allowed to die as a prisoner. It is the responsibility of all of us to work
for his release. The death of such a person as a prisoner will be one of
the worst clots of Indian democracy. Our pretensions will not have any
value after that.