[《“My mom says that black boys get shot because sometimes they don’t look
their age, and I don’t look my age. I’m 14, but I don’t look 14. I’m kind
of happy that, like, I didn’t become a statistic,” said Brennan.》]

https://www.huffingtonpost.in/entry/black-teen-nearly-shot-asking-for-directions_us_5ad0d38be4b077c89ce82acc

13/04/2018 11:26 PM IST | Updated 22 hours ago

Black Teen Nearly Shot After Knocking On Door Asking For Directions To
School
People are saying the 14-year-old boy's near-death experience is what it
means to be black in America.

By Jenna Amatulli

When 14-year-old Brennan Walker missed his bus on Thursday morning and
started walking to school, he thought knocking on a door to ask for
directions would help. He didn’t think it would nearly get him shot.

The Rochester Hills, Michigan, teenager attempted to trace the bus route on
foot after he said he woke up late and missed the bus. Brennan didn’t have
a phone with him because his mother had taken it away as punishment, as
moms of teens are wont to do, and he got lost along the way.

When he approached a house to ask for directions, he was met with a gun.

“I got to the house, and I knocked on the lady’s door. Then she started
yelling at me and she was like, ‘Why are you trying to break into my
house?’ I was trying to explain to her that I was trying to get directions
to Rochester High,” Brennan told Fox 2 Detroit.

“And she kept yelling at me. Then the guy came downstairs, and he grabbed
the gun. I saw it and started to run. And that’s when I heard the gunshot.”

The man’s shot luckily missed Brennan.

CLICK ON DETROIT
“My mom says that black boys get shot because sometimes they don’t look
their age, and I don’t look my age. I’m 14, but I don’t look 14. I’m kind
of happy that, like, I didn’t become a statistic,” said Brennan.

Local police said they could not justify what happened to the teenager.

Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard told Click on Detroit that the
shooting was “completely unacceptable on every level.”

“I don’t know how you would justify it, but it certainly doesn’t pass the
muster,” the sheriff said.

Brennan’s mother, Lisa Wright, wants the man who shot at her son to face
charges and believes that what happened “definitely was a hate crime.”

The house had a Ring doorbell, which according to Fox 2 Detroit recorded
the incident. Investigators let Wright and her son see the video.

“One of the things that stands out, that probably angers me the most is,
while I was watching the tape, you can hear the wife say, ‘Why did these
people choose my house?’” Wright said.

“Who are ‘these people’? And that set me off. I didn’t want to believe it
was what it appeared to look like. When I heard her say that, it was like,
‘But it is [what it looks like],’” the mother said.

Many on social media have remarked on what happened to Brennan, with some
noting this is what it means to be black in America.

Jeff Yang
✔
@originalspin
 Guns cause tragedies because they are the most efficient tool we have for
converting bigotry, fear and anger into death. This kid was lucky.

He shouldn’t have had to be lucky.
http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/black-teen-misses-bus-gets-shot-at-after-asking-for-directions-in-rochester-hills
…

9:31 PM - Apr 13, 2018

Black teen misses bus, gets shot at after asking for directions in
Rochester Hills
A 14-year-old missed his bus and it nearly cost him his life.

fox2detroit.com
6,056
2,193 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy

Sopan Deb
✔
@SopanDeb
 This is infuriating.
http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/black-teen-misses-bus-gets-shot-at-after-asking-for-directions-in-rochester-hills
…

7:24 PM - Apr 13, 2018 · Manhattan, NY

Black teen misses bus, gets shot at after asking for directions in
Rochester Hills
A 14-year-old missed his bus and it nearly cost him his life.

fox2detroit.com
564
427 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy

Jamil Smith
✔
@JamilSmith
 Renisha McBride died like this. In a way, so did Jonathan Ferrell. Now,
Brennan Walker knocks on a neighbor's door asking for directions and is
nearly killed by a homeowner who shot at him. "Your son almost became a
hashtag," a reporter told Brennan's mom.
http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/black-teen-misses-bus-gets-shot-at-after-asking-for-directions-in-rochester-hills
…

9:28 PM - Apr 13, 2018 · Los Angeles, CA

Black teen misses bus, gets shot at after asking for directions in
Rochester Hills
A 14-year-old missed his bus and it nearly cost him his life.

fox2detroit.com
6,532
4,221 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy

Ida Bae Wells
@nhannahjones
 Black in America. https://twitter.com/geedee215/status/984789282656280577 …

9:07 PM - Apr 13, 2018
187
111 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy

Jesse Singal
✔
@jessesingal
 Oh you know, just trying to kill a black kid for asking for directions to
his school. Just totally normal homeowner stuff.
http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/black-teen-misses-bus-gets-shot-at-after-asking-for-directions-in-rochester-hills
…

8:39 PM - Apr 13, 2018

Black teen misses bus, gets shot at after asking for directions in
Rochester Hills
A 14-year-old missed his bus and it nearly cost him his life.

fox2detroit.com
58
39 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
View image on Twitter
View image on Twitter

Imraan Siddiqi
✔
@imraansiddiqi
 Imagine being 14-year-old and having to knowingly bear the burden than you
might die just because of systemic racism.
http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/black-teen-misses-bus-gets-shot-at-after-asking-for-directions-in-rochester-hills
…

9:18 PM - Apr 13, 2018 · Chandler, AZ
162
96 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
The man who shot at Brennan is currently in custody and expected to face
charges.

Black Lives Matter Protests After Stephon Clark's Death
Suggest a correction
Jenna Amatulli  Trends Reporter, HuffPost

--
Peace Is Doable