[《The DMK is looking to forge a strong alliance in Tamil Nadu with the
Congress and Indian Union Muslim League (IUML) already on board and
seat-sharing talks underway with parties such as VCK, Vaiko’s MDMK, CPI(M)
and CPI. The VCK, MDMK, CPI(M) and CPI played a key role in DMK’s defeat in
2016 Assembly polls by splitting the opposition votes against AIADMK with a
third front.》

We must, at least, dare to hope.
More so, as the forthcoming poll may pretty well turn out to be the very
last chance for the survival of Indian democracy and the idea of "India",
as had been forged out in the crucible of the epic anti-colonial freedom
struggle.]

https://indianexpress.com/article/india/tamil-nadu-left-vaiko-on-board-dmk-looks-set-for-strong-alliance-5505665/?fbclid=IwAR39K3haNMVAv4hfvU6nejsnbQ1AeO9uYMC2ca-ghE3Et6Y1VHmQRaUO6uI

Tamil Nadu: Left, Vaiko on board, DMK looks set for strong alliance
According to sources in the DMK, VCK, CPI and CPI(M) may be demanding two
seats each but the DMK leadership is unlikely to share more than one seat
each with them.

Written by Arun Janardhanan | Chennai |

Published: December 23, 2018 2:33:25 am

After a meeting with MNM leaders on Saturday, Haasan said his party will be
part of an alliance that would contest in all 40 constituencies. (File
photo)

The DMK is looking to forge a strong alliance in Tamil Nadu with the
Congress and Indian Union Muslim League (IUML) already on board and
seat-sharing talks underway with parties such as VCK, Vaiko’s MDMK, CPI(M)
and CPI. The VCK, MDMK, CPI(M) and CPI played a key role in DMK’s defeat in
2016 Assembly polls by splitting the opposition votes against AIADMK with a
third front.

While this has left the party’s main rivals — the AIADMK and TTV
Dhinakaran’s Amma Makkal Munnetra Kazhagam (AMMK) — with hardly any
powerful ally in the state, three more aspirants are eyeing space in the
DMK’s electoral platform — Captain Vijayakanth’s DMDK, K Ramadoss’s PMK and
Kamal Haasan’s Makkal Needhi Maiam (MNM).

After a meeting with MNM leaders on Saturday, Haasan said his party will be
part of an alliance that would contest in all 40 constituencies. Without
revealing specifics, the actor-turned-politician said, “We will not join
hands with any party who tried to change the DNA of Tamil Nadu… Today’s
meeting has designated me to take a final decision on the poll alliance. We
will take the right decision.”

Indicating that Haasan’s strategy is to strike a deal directly with
Congress to enter the DMK alliance, a top leader in MNM said the fate of
Haasan’s plans depend on his “ongoing talks with the Congress national
leadership”. The leader said they hope to contest at least two seats in the
DMK alliance if the plan works out. If the alliance plan fails,
Dhinakaran’s AMMK that continues to fight against both the ruling AIADMK
and BJP will be another option before the MNM.

“Precisely, there are three plans before us. If we contest alone in all 40
constituencies without any major partner, we hope that we will get 3-4 per
cent votes. If we go with Dhinakaran, the vote share may increase to 5 per
cent. But it is clear that we have to be in the DMK-Congress alliance to
win at least one seat,” the leader said.

While senior Congress leaders in the state refused to comment on Haasan’s
talks with their national leadership, a senior DMK leader who is
coordinating talks with potential allies said an alliance with Haasan was
not on the cards. While Congress is likely to get eight seats in the DMK
alliance, the DMK leader said one of those seats may be shared by the
Congress with Haasan.

“We expect a tough battle with BJP and win the Kanyakumari seat. Sivaganga,
Cuddalore, Kancheepuram, Tirupur and Karur are among other seats where we
we are confident of winning the election with powerful faces. We cannot
talk about an alliance with Haasan right now,” said a senior Congress
leader.

According to sources in the DMK, VCK, CPI and CPI(M) may be demanding two
seats each but the DMK leadership is unlikely to share more than one seat
each with them. “If Vaiko’s MDMK agrees to contest on the symbol of the
rising sun (DMK party symbol) or Vaiko himself contests, we could give them
one or even two seats. Vijayakanth’s DMDK has demanded three seats and they
are ready to join us anytime. We have told them to wait until we settle the
deal with others,” a DMK leader said.

M H Jawahirullah of Manithaneya Makkal Katchi (MMK) and IUML are also
hoping for one seat each from the DMK alliance.

Ramadoss’s PMK remains clueless about joining the alliance as rival VCK is
already on board.

The DMK leadership will have to struggle to retain the electoral trend in
favour of party president Stalin. “… It is going to be a struggle to make
parties like VCK happy as we gave them two seats in the 2014 election…
Having Congress on board now, we couldn’t be generous with other parties
now,” said a source close to Stalin.

--
Peace Is Doable