Dear Elie,

As a follow-up to our previous conversation, I have been in contact with Ichiro
Fujinaga, who is leading the MEI neume encoding effort of the SIMSSA Project.
He is interested in the prospect of sharing data between MEI and NABC, and
seems supportive of the Gregorio Project.

I have subscribed to the mailing list for the MEI Neume development effort
here: http://music-encoding.org/community/mei-organization/interest-groups-ig/
<http://music-encoding.org/community/mei-organization/interest-groups-ig/>

I encourage anyone else who is interested in this project to do the same. It
seems that it cold have much value to offer the Gregorio effort. The MEI effort
seems to be at a much earlier stage of development than NABC, but the
possibilites that it presents for integration into the vast array of manuscript
data found in Cantus Ultimus <https://cantus.simssa.ca/> are immense.

I would be glad to put you in touch with Ichiro directly if you might be
interested in discussing possible collaborations between the two platforms.

Best regards,
Adam

On Aug 24, 2016, at 9:26 AM, Adam Bartlett <adambartlettmu...@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear Elie,

>> In my discussions with one of the contributors to the project
>> described below I have learned that MEI itself is presently being
>> developed
>
> Oh ok, I didn't understand that!

My apologies! There is a team that is actively working on developing further
the attributes of MEI in order to capture all of the information found in the
various chant manuscripts. I have seen a draft of a table for St. Gall that is
quite detailed, beyond what is presently available in MEI, yet incomplete. The
team hopes to identify these attributes and include them in MEI for future
encoding.

>> Nonetheless, if there were to be a way for porting information
>> between the two systems, it seems like discussions between the
>> platforms as they develop /now/ would help ensure the greatest
>> success of the aim. Perhaps there are insights that this group could
>> offer that would help improve NABC also.
>
> Sure! How are the people behind MEI reachable? Do they have a public
> mailing list for these questions? That would be interesting to reach them.

I have been having this conversation with Kate Helsen, who is a contributor to
the project. She is now discussing this possible collaboration with the leaders
of the Cantus Ultimus / SIMSSA project. I will report on her response.

Gratefully,
Adam

On Aug 24, 2016, at 9:15 AM, Élie Roux <elie.r...@telecom-bretagne.eu> wrote:

Dear Adam,

> In my discussions with one of the contributors to the project
> described below I have learned that MEI itself is presently being
> developed

Oh ok, I didn't understand that!

> Nonetheless, if there were to be a way for porting information
> between the two systems, it seems like discussions between the
> platforms as they develop /now/ would help ensure the greatest
> success of the aim. Perhaps there are insights that this group could
> offer that would help improve NABC also.

Sure! How are the people behind MEI reachable? Do they have a public
mailing list for these questions? That would be interesting to reach them.

Thank you,
--
Elie