On Thu, 15 Aug 2019, Allin Cottrell wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Aug 2019, Sven Schreiber wrote:
>
> > Actually the automatic creation of a non-declared string object is also
> > a bit unusual for hansl, no?
[...]
> I thought of doing --tempfile on the pattern:
>
> outfile --tempname=foo
>
> with no actual argument, and the required parameter for --tempfile
> naming an existing string variable that would get the name of the
> file. But then I realized that this would be quite different from the
> otherwise similar --buffer option.
>
> An alternative, and maybe cleaner, way would be to rejig both --buffer
> and --tempfile on the latter pattern, and deprecate the old usage for
> buffer.

OK, I think this is cleaner, and it's now in git (with revised doc).
I found it easier to make the help reasonably clear, which ought to be
a good sign. Better not to have arguments that morph, if possible.

The old form of the --buffer option still works and at this point I
haven't set up a deprecation message. But the recommended forms are
now:

# output to user-named file
outfile filename

# output to buffer foo