On Mon, 23 Mar 2020, Allin Cottrell wrote:

I'm thinking that an early 2020b release would be good, to address the macOS Catalina security issue (about which we'll probably hear more).

In that context, I think most of the changes since 2020a are harmless, with the possible exception of the modification of funcerr(), so I'd like to revisit that.

Quick recap:

[...]

Here are my second thoughts. Usually when we offer a function version of a command it's just a matter of adding convenience, for users comfortable with function calls, with no change in semantics relative to the command. That's true of the first version of funcerr() but not the latest one. So my latest change is kinda unruly.

If we were willing to add a new function we might call it "iferror", as in

 iferror(error_condition, message)

This would work just like the new funcerr(), but funcerr() itself would revert to its usage in 2020a, parallel to the command. Any thoughts?

I think this is cleaner. Eventually, we can deprecate the function form of funcerr() and retire it (clearly, in due course).

  Riccardo (Jack) Lucchetti
  Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali (DiSES)

  Università Politecnica delle Marche
  (formerly known as Università di Ancona)

  r.lucche...@univpm.it
  http://www2.econ.univpm.it/servizi/hpp/lucchetti