On Tue, 24 Mar 2020, Riccardo (Jack) Lucchetti wrote:

On Mon, 23 Mar 2020, Allin Cottrell wrote:

I'm thinking that an early 2020b release would be good, to address the macOS Catalina security issue (about which we'll probably hear more).

Oh, another thing: if we're releasing soon I'd like to propose a few enhanncements to our ODBC apparatus. (Background info: Allin and Artur have been working on ODBC recently and a few new features were introduced.)

1) Insert an "Open ODBC connection..." dialog into the File menu. A GUI equivalent of the "open" command with the --odbc option

2) After a connection has been established, show the currently active DSN somewhere in the GUI

3) overload the ls command with an --odbc option: "ls --odbc" would issue a command to show the tables from the currently open database. "ls foo --odbc" would issue a command to show all the columns in table "foo". Warning: this would be a little tricky, since the SQL commands to send over would be different for each RDBMS; for MySQL thesw would be "SHOW TABLES" and "SHOW COLUMNS FROM foo", but SQL dialects differ here.

If we have time before release (say, 1-2 weeks) I'll do this myself, but at the I'm finding remote teaching very very time consuming, so before starting any coding effort, I'd like to ask you guys for an opinion on this.

  Riccardo (Jack) Lucchetti
  Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali (DiSES)

  Università Politecnica delle Marche
  (formerly known as Università di Ancona)

  r.lucche...@univpm.it
  http://www2.econ.univpm.it/servizi/hpp/lucchetti