On Sat, 12 Mar 2022, Riccardo (Jack) Lucchetti wrote:

On Fri, 11 Mar 2022, Allin Cottrell wrote:

If someone could give me the exact steps to run gretl with "gdb" I can try to do it.

Thanks, Ignacio. Here are the steps:

[...]

valgrind can be another option for tracing the problem. Just install valgrind and issue the command

valgrind /usr/bin/gretl_x11 your_script.inp

Execution will be _very_ slow, but if you get a crash you should receive a list of the internal functions that led to it.

Valgrind can be very helpful in general, but this case is special.

I'm pretty sure it's not a "true" crash -- I believe that the libR code is calling abort() when it can't find Renviron (because it doesn't know the value of R_HOME). And when abort is called by a library, the program that loaded the library is automatically terminated. This is consistent with the fact that Ignacio couldn't get a backtrace from gdb: gretl didn't segfault, it just exited.

Allin