On Mon, 16 Jan 2023, Sven Schreiber wrote:

Am 14.01.2023 um 10:35 schrieb Sven Schreiber:
Am 13.01.2023 um 21:18 schrieb Cottrell, Allin:
On Thu, Jan 12, 2023 at 6:46 AM Sven Schreiber
<sven.schrei...@fu-berlin.de>  wrote:
sorry, here's again one of my crazy syntactic sugar ideas: I think it would be nice if hansl had a more concise way of writing a basic if-endif block, where the thing to be executed is just a single line.
I agree; this is something I've thought about from time to time. I
kinda like the fortran approach to the one-liner:

if <condition> then <whatever>

which would require "then" as a new keyword. We can discuss this when
we next get a chance.

Sure, having a new keyword wouldn't be so bad. And making the cross-connection with the different boolean message I just sent: maybe even introducing AND and OR (all caps, presumably) as aliases for && and || could be nice for a high-level language, like we did with TRUE and FALSE. But let's discuss this.

One more thought on this: I guess that in a one-liner no commands would be allowed, right? It seems a bit strange to have something like:

if <whatever> then ols y const x

Such a constraint wouldn't be so bad, but what about the whole "genr" apparatus as a command? Something like:

if <whatever> then a = 3

looks nice, but the explicit variant already looks stranger:

if <whatever> then scalar a  = 3

Hm.

FWIW, I wouldn't like the "one-line-if-statement" very much. (Of course, you may say, I'd be free to avoid it, but...)

  Riccardo (Jack) Lucchetti
  Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali (DiSES)

  Università Politecnica delle Marche
  (formerly known as Università di Ancona)

  r.lucche...@univpm.it
  http://www2.econ.univpm.it/servizi/hpp/lucchetti