gbranden pushed a commit to branch master
in repository groff.

commit 4b778256025cacd803916b083c10b5b63796f1c7
Author: G. Branden Robinson <[email protected]>
AuthorDate: Thu Jul 25 15:43:41 2024 -0500

    groff_diff(7): Relocate material.
    
    Better distingush AT&T/GNU troff differences that are affected by
    compatibility mode from those that aren't.
---
 man/groff_diff.7.man | 190 +++++++++++++++++++++++++--------------------------
 1 file changed, 95 insertions(+), 95 deletions(-)

diff --git a/man/groff_diff.7.man b/man/groff_diff.7.man
index f49452cb3..199699de4 100644
--- a/man/groff_diff.7.man
+++ b/man/groff_diff.7.man
@@ -5386,101 +5386,6 @@ to the standard error stream.
 .
 .
 .\" ====================================================================
-.SH "Other differences"
-.\" ====================================================================
-.
-.\" TODO: Resync with the node of this name in our Texinfo manual.
-GNU
-.IR troff 's \" GNU
-features sometimes cause incompatibilities with documents written
-assuming old implementations of
-.IR troff . \" generic
-.
-Some GNU extensions to
-.I troff \" generic
-are supported by other implementations.
-.
-.
-.P
-AT&T
-.I troff \" AT&T
-discards trailing spaces from input lines,
-like GNU
-.IR troff , \" GNU
-but if it does so,
-AT&T
-.I troff \" AT&T
-also cancels end-of-sentence detection.
-.
-Use of the dummy character escape sequence
-.B \[rs]&
-is more portable.
-.
-.
-.P
-When adjusting to both margins,
-AT&T
-.I troff \" AT&T
-at first adjusts spaces starting from the right;
-GNU
-.I troff \" GNU
-begins from the left.
-.
-Both implementations adjust spaces from opposite ends on alternating
-output lines to prevent \[lq]rivers\[rq] in the text.
-.
-.
-.P
-GNU
-.I troff \" GNU
-does not always hyphenate words as AT&T
-.I troff \" AT&T
-does.
-.
-The AT&T implementation uses a set of hard-coded rules specific to
-U.S.\& English,
-while GNU
-.I troff \" GNU
-uses language-specific hyphenation pattern files derived from \*[tx].
-.
-In some versions of
-.I troff \" generic
-there was limited space to store hyphenation exceptions
-(arguments to the
-.B hw
-request);
-GNU
-.I troff \" GNU
-has no such restriction.
-.
-.
-.P
-GNU
-.I troff \" GNU
-handles the dummy character
-.B \[rs]&
-differently from AT&T
-.I troff \" AT&T
-when it is followed by the hyphenation control escape sequence
-.B \[rs]%
-at the beginning of a word.
-.
-GNU
-.I troff \" GNU
-does not regard the dummy character as \[lq]starting\[rq] the word;
-AT&T
-.I troff \" AT&T
-does.
-.
-Further,
-Heirloom Doctools
-.I troff \" Heirloom
-does not honor an explicit hyphenation point marked with
-.B \[rs]%
-after a word-initial one.
-.
-.
-.\" ====================================================================
 .SH "Compatibility mode"
 .\" ====================================================================
 .
@@ -5621,6 +5526,101 @@ turns compatibility mode
 while it interprets its argument list.
 .
 .
+.\" ====================================================================
+.SH "Other differences"
+.\" ====================================================================
+.
+.\" TODO: Resync with the node of this name in our Texinfo manual.
+GNU
+.IR troff 's \" GNU
+features sometimes cause incompatibilities with documents written
+assuming old implementations of
+.IR troff . \" generic
+.
+Some GNU extensions to
+.I troff \" generic
+are supported by other implementations.
+.
+.
+.P
+AT&T
+.I troff \" AT&T
+discards trailing spaces from input lines,
+like GNU
+.IR troff , \" GNU
+but if it does so,
+AT&T
+.I troff \" AT&T
+also cancels end-of-sentence detection.
+.
+Use of the dummy character escape sequence
+.B \[rs]&
+is more portable.
+.
+.
+.P
+When adjusting to both margins,
+AT&T
+.I troff \" AT&T
+at first adjusts spaces starting from the right;
+GNU
+.I troff \" GNU
+begins from the left.
+.
+Both implementations adjust spaces from opposite ends on alternating
+output lines to prevent \[lq]rivers\[rq] in the text.
+.
+.
+.P
+GNU
+.I troff \" GNU
+does not always hyphenate words as AT&T
+.I troff \" AT&T
+does.
+.
+The AT&T implementation uses a set of hard-coded rules specific to
+U.S.\& English,
+while GNU
+.I troff \" GNU
+uses language-specific hyphenation pattern files derived from \*[tx].
+.
+In some versions of
+.I troff \" generic
+there was limited space to store hyphenation exceptions
+(arguments to the
+.B hw
+request);
+GNU
+.I troff \" GNU
+has no such restriction.
+.
+.
+.P
+GNU
+.I troff \" GNU
+handles the dummy character
+.B \[rs]&
+differently from AT&T
+.I troff \" AT&T
+when it is followed by the hyphenation control escape sequence
+.B \[rs]%
+at the beginning of a word.
+.
+GNU
+.I troff \" GNU
+does not regard the dummy character as \[lq]starting\[rq] the word;
+AT&T
+.I troff \" AT&T
+does.
+.
+Further,
+Heirloom Doctools
+.I troff \" Heirloom
+does not honor an explicit hyphenation point marked with
+.B \[rs]%
+after a word-initial one.
+.
+.
 .P
 The existence of the
 .B .T

_______________________________________________
Groff-commit mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/groff-commit

Reply via email to