On Wed, Dec 13, 2023 at 02:59:15AM +0100, Tadziu Hoffmann wrote:

> > Here is another example where, when the table doesn't fit on the page,
> > it vanishes and is not carried over to the following page.
>
> As far as I can tell, hdtbl does not start a new page by itself
> when a table does not fit, but invoking t*hm will output any
> held tables.  The way you have set this up to be called from
> pg@top will print the table, but you have to explicitly request
> a new page with .bp at the end, or provide more running text
> (not inside TBL/ETB) so that ms will eventually start a new page.

  The reason are bugs in the hdtbl macros as shown in the bug
ticket #64772 (comment #9, 2013-11-07), named "[hdtbl] consider
deprecating", in the attached file "hdtbl.tmac.diff"
(https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=groff).

  Also look a bug ticket #64967 grops.1.man..."HDTBL"

> However, I think that in this particular case the problem is
> not having the page length correctly set.  Can you try using
> .pl 29.7c somewhere near the top?

  The page format does not fix the bugs in the hdtbl macros.

  Simpler is to change the page size on the command line by adding

-dpaper=a4 -P-pa4

  define "paper" for the formatter, add option "-pa4" for the
output device.

  The default paper size should be defined in "tmac/troffrc"
before "papersize.tmac" is sourced, for example with

.  do if !d paper .do ds paper A4\" use $(PAGE) to configure