On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 2:50 PM, rajat desikan <rajatdesi...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Mark,
> That is a valuable suggestion indeed. By default, most users (I assume; I
> could be wrong) use the original forcefield recommendations.

Indeed, though establishing whether different programs can and do implement
equivalent algorithms is very difficult.

> What is your
> opinion of using buffered Verlet lists (adding cutoff-scheme = Verlet to
> the .mdp) along with the original FF recommendations (say Amber FF)?

It would seem to me to be a no-brainer, but there are lots of details to
check. For example, Amber12 offers skinnb, which would seem to play the
role of the desired buffer, but mostly the force fields were parameterized
with an earlier version (see primary literature for details), and it is
that version that is (somewhat) important. However, since most of the force
fields were parametrized without PME, or even long-ranged dispersion
corrections, the point is fairly moot. There must be many kinds of error
compensation in the parameters.

Inferring transferability of a force field from its
* development implementation (e.g. the simulation code version),
* model physics (e.g. long-range treatment), and/or
* target simulations (e.g. peptide in water vs aqueous protein folding vs
membrane protein)
is a very risky business. I applaud the kind of independent testing in the
link you suggested - I think there is far too much hope-based MD simulation
going on. If there's a simulation package that readily does broken
simulations, the community needs to know so the problem can be solved (one
way or another). That means people being open and communicating :-)

I would argue that GROMACS 4.6+Verlet(+ default buffer) is a better
implementation of the desired kind of model physics than any code doing
anything unbuffered. Whether the force field can live up to that on a given
system is unknown until it is observed.

Mark