I've just started doing atomistic simulations over the last few weeks as well
and can share what I've learned so far.

I have been using 'automated topology builder'. It only uses the gromos 53a6
forcefield so eliminates the choice if you want to use it. ATB generates the
pdb and itp files for you. There are a lot of molecules already on there or you
can submit you're own using a java script molecule builder.

There may well be other ways to do this but I haven't found them yet.