The first update on the redmine page does describe the source of the
issue - although perhaps not in the most user-friendly manner.

Translating it to a simple example, if you have dual-socket 8c nodes
and 2 GPUs per node:

mpirun -np 4 mdrun -ntomp 4 -gpu_id 0011 #single node 4 ranks per
node, 2-way rank-GPU sharing
mpirun -np 4 mdrun -ntomp 8 -gpu_id 01 #two nodes 2 ranks per node, no
GPU sharing
will work, but

mpirun -np 8 mdrun -ntomp 4 -gpu_id 0011 #two nodes 4 ranks per node,
2-way rank-GPU sharing

will crash.

Cheers
--