On 12/26/13, 5:30 AM, lloyd riggs wrote:
Zero it--> If you plot a potential energy value strait from the simulation it
will be something like point a) -7000 point b) -7050 across a single
simulation.  Thus you have to find a beginning point and subtract it across the
run.  Additionally, fluctuations may dictate 10 or so runs to determine a good
mean, as the drifet or error might be 20 kcal/mol in a system.  As I read your
other post, I would assume the experiment would be non random placement of DMSO
in water (say a wall system), otherwise you would be looking at a single
molecules energy dictated by conformational space over time...ie something like
Justin's post...which you still may have to calculate a mean for, but I assume
this is done through the -nmol option.  You still also may have to "zero it",
but I am not sure, direct use of g_energy gives abitrary starting points as
above from my experience.

The values printed by g_energy are not arbitrary. They are the energy of a mole of equivalent systems of a given configuration, hence their large magnitude.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences