Dear Faezeh,

Michael is absolutely right, both methods should yield exactly the same Cp
and Cv values, but that is only true in the limit of infinite sampling. If
sampling is not infinite but is long enough, Cp and Cv values should agree
within the statistical uncertainty of each method. So it seems to me that
you have improve your simulations until you get this agreement.

regardless of which method you are using to compute Cp and Cv and based on
your last messages, I think that you should try some more "best practice
testing" before deciding whether Cv and Cp should be the same or not
(that's your decision, not ours):

(1) I would suggest you not to take the last frame of the NPT simulation as
the "correct volume". You should instead take an average volume from the
equilibrated NPT simulation and then edit the gro file to reach that
average volume.

(2) are you sure that 10 ns is enough to properly sample heat capacities?
Regarding this topic, I could ask you several questions:

- Have you checked that all relevant structural and energetic patterns are
fully relaxed within this time scale? For instance, energy components,
density, radial distribution functions, relative orientation between
molecules and so on.

- Have you discarded the frames before structural and energetic relaxations
were achieved?

- Considering that lutidine is slightly bulky and has a well defined dipole
moment, it may take a while for a full rotational relaxation. Have you
computed the rotational correlation function to be sure that it relaxed
long before 10 ns? If it did not relax, then 10 ns is not enough.

- I like to compute these fluctuation-based properties as cumulative
averages along the simulation (after structural and energetic relaxations,
of course), it is easier to see if the average is approaching some plateau
value (if not, longer simulation time is required).

- I have never tested myself (has anyone tested?), but fluctuation-based
calculations are obviously sensitive to the quality of the fluctuation, and
double precision integration yields less noisier raw data than single
precision integration does, so I would guess that double precision mdrun
might provide a better-quality sampling of the fluctuation and would then
improve the quality of your Cp and Cv estimates (just guessing).

As I already stated (and provided you published experimental data in
support of my statement), Cp and Cv need not be the same for molecular
liquids. But it is up to you to prove that your simulations are reliable
(my questions above are just a fraction of the checks you need to perform
in order to convince yourself and your audience that you have obtained
reliable data and not just simulation artifacts). In principle, you should
include these checks in the supporting information of your manuscripts to
convince the editors and referees (and the general audience after
publication) that you have been thorough in your investigation.

best

Andre