Hi,

You're doing too much work. If you want appending (and generally you
should, because all of our checks stop you making several of the many
available silly errors :-) ), don't name each stage differently. Once
you've forced it to write .edr files that are separate, then you have to
use the concatenation tools, and that gets you a naive concatenation.
(Though I suspect mdrun -append will still give you these extra frames,
because the previous -maxh meant that a checkpoint and an energy frame got
written at that arbitrary point of the simulation.)

Mark